-3- The fortune teller

It has been several days since Zhan last saw the mysterious stranger. Since no one, apart from him, apparently saw the stranger, he decided to quickly forget him and return to his daily life. Maybe it was just a dream after all, or he just imagined it. Hadn't he been working too much lately and maybe he just needed a vacation? Then it is possible that his mind is simply playing tricks on him.

Which didn't mean that he didn't look around especially attentive, when he had the feeling that he was being watched. But it always turned out to be pure imagination.

He saw it as a kind of irony when his chief editor sent him to a new event. A convention that was about spiritual things. Didn't that fit in with his fantasy of the stranger? Yes, if he was imagining it, then why was his lip swollen both times after the kiss? Could he have sucked it up himself? Or bitten it? Or had he really lost his mind and been kissing two complete strangers at random?

Together with Chuyue, who was once again to take the pictures for his article, he made his way to the large exhibition hall. But Zhan didn't really feel like it, partly because he didn't approve of all this stuff. For him it was nothing but nonsense, which cost a lot of people, a lot of money. But because of his work he had to remain neutral, of course.

When they reached the exhibition hall, more than a hundred people were already waiting in front of it. "I can't believe how many people are doing this nonsense to themselves." Mumbled Zhan.

"What are you babbling about?" Chuyue asked confusedly.

"Oh, nothing. Come on, let's hurry and get this done."

"This hall is fucking big, how are you going to do it quickly? Besides, you have to ask the exhibitors a few questions."

"I know. And the longer we waste our time talking nonsense, the longer it'll take."

"You don't believe in that stuff, do you, Zhan?"

"What kind of question is that? How long have we known each other? Five or six years? Have you ever heard me talk about anything like this?"

"Actually, no. But, hey, my mom always says we should be open to everything."

Zhan could only shake his head about it. He knows Chuyue's mother very well and knows she believes in all this stuff. He wouldn't even be surprised if she comes here today and runs excitedly from one booth to the next.

Thanks to their press ID cards, the two of them did not have to wait outside with the other visitors, but were able to enter the hall and have a look around already half an hour before admission. Unfortunately, most of them were still at the remaining construction work of their stands and therefore they didn't have time to answer Zhan's questions already now. Also Chuyue could not take any pictures yet.

They made a complete round in the exhibition hall and arrived punctually for the opening of the exhibition, the entrance again. Many visitors literally rushed in and showed little consideration for their fellow men. Some of them pushed and shoved their way to the stands. And Zhan diligently noted down what he saw while Chuyue kept pressing the shutter release of his camera.

For an hour, Zhan and Chuyue were already walking around and had almost everything they needed. Zhan had written three pages full of notes. Had asked questions to some of the visitors of the convention and also noted them down while Chuyue took pictures of them. They watched some seances, took pictures and took notes. Only one thing was missing, the questions to the exhibitors.

Couldn't these spiritual people see that Zhan was in a hurry? Supposedly they were able to see or feel something like that. But why, then, did no one come up to them and finally answer his questions?

With every minute that passed, Zhan's mood seemed to get worse and worse. And he didn't even know why. After all, this was part of his work and usually, he didn't mind. But today he was just annoyed.

When they had arrived at the last table for the fourth time and thus again at the entrance, or rather for them, exit. A fortune teller called them both to her. Zhan breathed a sigh of relief. Finally he could ask his questions about the convention and then back to the editorial office.

The fortune teller, Miss Ann Yung told the two to sit down. Zhan sat down right opposite her and the old woman smiled at him friendly. "We're from the press and would like to ask you a few questions. May we?" Asked Zhan nicely.

She looked at Zhan and said, "Wouldn't you like to know more about your mysterious friend?"

"About who?" Zhan asked, acting calmly. But his heart beat faster.

"You know who I am talking about. This handsome young man you danced with and met in the cinema." She replied softly. Zhan was speechless. How did she know about him? Was it a trick?

"Oh ZhanZhan, is there something you haven't told me?" Chuyue asked with a grin.

"Shut up, Chuyue." Zhan said, then turned to the fortune teller. "How do you know about him?" He asked her.

"Well my young man, I'm a medium or a fortune teller, whatever you want to call it. And I saw at first glance that you met someone very special. The question is, are you ready for it?"

"Ready for what?"

"To find out who he is and why he chose to show himself to you."

"What I want to know is. Who is this guy and what's his name?" Zhan replied. He was angry that he didn't ask the stranger about his name.

"Let me tell you what I know. Even if he wants to, he can't show himself to you a lot of times. It is not easy for him and even a little dangerous. He does not know his own name, he also does not know where he comes from. And until he has found out, he cannot return. In the near future, he will try to show himself to you more." She explained.

Zhan looked at her thoughtfully and with a wrinkled forehead. "So now I'm as smart as I was before. But thanks anyway." He replied.

"He's always near you, you should know that. And he doesn't like your girlfriend. She keeps secrets from you. But I can see that you will discover her secrets soon enough."

"Um, okay." Said Zhan, looking around nervously. If he's supposed to be around all the time, why doesn't he just show himself to him? And why is it dangerous for the stranger?

Zhan apologised briefly to the fortune teller because he had to go to the toilet and Chuyue had to get a new memory card from the car. When they came back and wanted to continue talking to the old one, she was gone. But not only her, but her whole stand. Only the two chairs were still there.

Immediately Zhan ran to one of the supervisors and asked him how the old one could disappear so quickly. The man looked at his exhibitor plan and seemed confused. "There was no booth here." He explained.

Zhan and Chuyue said at the same time, "We spoke to her five minutes ago." But the supervisor insisted. There was no booth here.

Chuyue looked confused on his camera for the pictures. But all he found were pictures of an empty wall. No table, no decorations and certainly not the old woman. "This can't be, can it? We weren't sitting in front of a blank wall imagining we were talking to that fortune teller." Chuyue said, clicking through his gallery again. The result remained the same.

But since the supervisor obviously felt sorry for them, he asked them if they could remember the name. Zhan nodded and said, "Sure, her name is Miss Ann Yung."

Suddenly the supervisor looked at them confused. "Maybe you are confusing this with last year. She was here last year. Even if she wanted to, she couldn't be here this year because she's dead. Last year, when she wanted to drive home on the last day of the mass, she had caused a serious accident because she fell asleep behind the steering wheel. Several other people were injured, she died in the end from a craniocerebral trauma."

Zhan and Chuyue were confused. Did they imagine this conversation? Did they really sit like two idiots in front of an empty wall, talking to it and taking pictures? How stupid must they have appeared to others?