-44- Thoughts

-44- Thoughts

POV YIBO

After Zhan left the house, Yibo stood in their room and cursed. If he hadn't invested the money he had received as advised by his father and even his friends, he wouldn't be in the situation now, to worry about who should finance his studies.

Zhan had set up a special bank account for him and had the money transferred there. He wished for Yibo to treat himself with it and to have a life and use it to finance his studies. But then his father and his friends told him that it would be great to invest money and make it work for him. And he was doing that. He did not know then, that he would not get this money until a certain time had passed.

And when he told Zhan that he couldn't afford to go to the university, Zhan was willing to pay the fees for him, and Yibo was happy about that too. He was grateful for it, as he was grateful for everything else that Zhan and his family had done for him. But he always felt guilty because he could never repay them.

One day on the phone, his best friend told him, "Yibo, your Zhan is obviously your Sugar Daddy." He denied it immediately, of course, but the thought never left him. And from then on, he wanted to change things. He didn't want a Sugar Daddy and being dependent on Zhan. And he didn't want to be dependent on Zhan's family anymore either.

So Yibo went to his brother and his brother said, talk to our father, which he did. They talked about all this many times and for a long time. He didn't want to shut Zhan out and present him with a complete set of facts. He wanted first to find out his possibilities and then talk to Zhan.

He was also angry because he hadn't told Zhan about his family's move. They had only been living in Beijing for three weeks and Yibo had completely forgotten to tell Zhan about it. He just had so many things going through his mind that he completely forgot about it.

After Yibo found his mind again, he called his father to confront him. He asked, "Can you tell me why you told Zhan that I wanted to move out and study in the US? As far as I know, we were just talking about my options!"

"Yibo son, if we were just talking about your options like you said, why did you immediately send multiple applications to universities in the U.S.?"

"Because you said I should at least try it. But I told you I would not give up yet and I want to find a university here. I told you I want to stay close to Zhan. And I also told you that I'm not sure about living with you and Hai Kuan yet. Because I want to be with Zhan."

"And I told you I'd pay for university if you moved back in with your brother and me."

"Why would I want to move back in with you guys anyway? I'm doing great here, and I'm happy to be with Zhan. Not just to see each other every few days. But be together every night and fall asleep together."

"Yibo, listen to me, OK? You're my son and I love you so much. I miss you and your brother too, and we want to live together as a family again. You said that you could imagine living with us again. And you also said that this does not mean that your relationship will break down."

"I know. But I also said that I would have to think about it. And that I wanted to talk to Zhan about it before I made any decisions. I never said I've already decided. I told you I needed more time."

"How much time do you need Yibo? A month? A year? You already know what you want. So stand by it. And if your relationship breaks down because of this, then it was not good anyway."

"Don't say that. I love Zhan and I don't want to lose him. The relationship with him is very important to me."

"But your relationship shouldn't come first. It's the university. You told me you're an adult. Well, then act like one and make your decision like an adult. Think about your future and what you want to do with your life. That's more important than anything right now. And if Zhan loves you, he'll accept your decision and support you through it."

Yibo was only too aware that he has to make his decision and he has to do it soon. But that didn't make it any easier for him. He knew his father was right. He could not live by air and love alone. He wants to become a social pedagogue and he can't do that if he only thinks about his relationship with Zhan and is afraid of being courageous and, if necessary, studying abroad.

But that would mean that his relationship is in danger. Because he would be abroad for several years and Zhan was right, they couldn't just get on a plane and visit each other. Phone calls or video chats might be enough for a while, but not for long.

And again Yibo realized that he could only think about his relationship with Zhan again. No matter what he thought about, everything brought him back to Zhan and their relationship. Even before his stepmother tried to kill him, he had wanted Zhan. And even as a lost soul, he was drawn to him and he just wanted to be with him.

But now that they've been together for eight months, he should be more than happy to have achieved what he wanted so much. But now he had to make a decision that would probably destroy his relationship. And with it, he would lose the person he was sure to love from the first moment he saw him. He would lose the man he was so desperately trying to come out of his coma for. And the man he trained so hard for to walk again.

Yibo still has to train a lot, because he wants to be able to dance with Zhan. He can't yet, but soon he will surely be able to. But, would it still come to the point that they both dance when he makes a decision that would mean the end of their relationship? The end of what has meant the most to Yibo so far.

Again and again he had tried to reach Zhan after the phone call with his father. And when Zhan finally accepted the call, he didn't even let him say anything and just said that he should think about what he wants. And he knows what he wants. He wants Zhan. But he also wants to study.

So it's not about what Yibo wants. It's about what does he choose? The man he loves? Or to study, to become a social worker? He wants both, but apparently can only have one of those.

On the evening when Yibo still had his head full of thoughts, he thought a walk would do him good. And so he left the house and walked along the street. He decided to go to Zhan and his grandmother's house tomorrow to talk to Zhan. To bring him home and find a solution together. But at the same time, he felt as if he was passing the decision he had to make on to Zhan.

After half an hour it became too cold for Yibo, winter is approaching and the temperatures are already close to zero.

As he was heading back, he heard a child laughing. He turned around but did not see a child. He looked between the parked cars, but saw nothing. He clearly heard a child laughing, but where was it? Or was his mind now playing a trick on him as well?

The laughter stopped and Yibo went back to his car. And even if he kept telling himself, he probably just imagined it, it still didn't let him go.