chapter 19

She didn't know this at the time, but before James began to train, he told all training warriors to put a shirt on in respect for their future Luna. It didn't even occur to her that the warriors around her, including females, started to wear their standard exercise shirts instead of going almost bare (excluding the females who wore gym bras).

The Alpha male took another glance at his relaxed female who played with the fingers of her small toddler before resuming his training duties.

Watching James train with all the other wolves was intriguing; solidly built males combating against each other with equal fervour was something to behold. But, out of respect for one of the few males in her life, she didn't pay much attention. Opal knew that if she looked too long, apart of her would feel dirty, another part of her felt the need to cower of the sight of males. But, she was there in support of James, and with that, she continued to stay grounded.

Playing with the tiny fingers of Gabrielle, she engages in a little conversation with the babbles the child emitted as her amusement. "Silly girl," she cooed, pressing a delicate kiss to her forehead. The baby squealed. Sitting in the cool shade brought her peace, occasionally she would glance over at James before returning her attention to her baby and often, felt James' stare on her for a few seconds.

The Alpha looked towards the group of warriors in front of him, taking in each of their strengths and weaknesses while they did their drills. He hoped one day Opal would be among the many she-wolves training, building their physical resilience as well as their mental one. But, as his friends had told him before, these things take time, baby steps.

Looking over to the sitting pair, he couldn't help the love that flowed through his veins, seeing the smile that graced Opal's lips as she played with her toddler. The sound of her laughter gave him the energy to wait, to hope that one day, things would be different, and she wouldn't be afraid to live.

-

She laid on her back, feeling the sun slowly rise from over the trees and onto the field. She could hear the warriors continuing to train with closed eyelids as she fell into a blissful state of calm. Brielle was fiddling with her closed water bottle right next to, babbling in her world. Opal relished in the feeling of the warm sun against her pale skin, it was a rare moment for her, being outside surrounded by other wolves yet so isolated from them at the same time. She smiled.

James took another glance at Opal relaxing in the sun, the light making her glow from a yard away as he took in the beauty of his mate. She looked so happy, so content and he had to force himself from walking over there and enjoying her company. But alas, he had the training to do. For two hours, he had to push his warriors to their limits in their human form, and they barely skimmed the surface.

"Alright, I want you all to take a ten-minute break before we go into our woods and do some combat training there. Then, after about an hour, we'll take another break, and then we shift," he told his group of warriors. He had to admit that they didn't even break much of a sweat, a thin line only resting on their foreheads as they looked at their Alpha with a sharp nod.

The group walked to their bags in sync. James went in the opposite direction and slowly made his way towards his mate. He could feel the effects of the bond, the more he drew closer, instantly calmer as he took a whiff of the air. Brielle, already on alert, looked towards James' direction and with called out for him. A broad smile began to form across his lips as he watched the pup begin to make her crawl towards him.

Opal, upon hearing her daughters calls, slowly arose from her mini slumber and watched in amusement as her pup made a slow, yet energetic crawl towards James. Picking up his speed, he outstretched his arms, ready to scoop her up from the ground. Brielle's persistent squeals caused a few of the pack members to glance their way, but seeing it to be their future Luna, they looked away out of respect. Once James and Brielle met halfway, he boisterously carried the pup into his arms and unknowingly pressed his scent against her.