chapter 11

It was an unusual sight to see her in the middle of the kitchen frying an egg on a hot stove early in the morning. It had been a while since Trent had seen her looked comfortable in a stranger's home, but he knew how she loved cooking, but it was usually when she had a lot on her mind. He had never seen Opal look so carefree. She was humming quietly to herself, Gabrielle in a high chair eating little bits of cereal that was on the plate and giggled to herself.

"Isn't this a sight to see? You're looking comfortable here," he smirked, feeling very proud that she was getting used to the idea of living here. Startled, Opal turned around, eyes full of alert before relaxing as she took a moment to realise who was talking to her.

"Oh, uh, I have a lot on my mind, I guess. I-I'm just cooking breakfast. I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage of the omegas here since I was one too," she muttered softly before resuming back to her work with tinged cheeks and a small smile grew on her lips. Trent released a small hum of an agreement, he was correct with his previous statement and settled down on the island seat with his hands crossed on his lap. He began to notice the stiff posture of her shoulders and hurried, yet careful movements of what she was doing.

"So I heard Alpha James is taking Gabrielle and you out for a little bit, does it have something to do with 'alot on your mind'" he imitated with a slight tease in voice. He was very proud of her for taking this step forward and admired her bravery. Opal visibly tensed up upon hearing his name and released a shaky breath before turning around to face him.

"I'm scared, w-what if-" she began before she was interrupted when Trent manoeuvred himself towards her and placed his rough hands against her shoulders.

"Nothing is going to happen, you'll be fine. He'll take care of you and Gabrielle, I can assure you," he promised her with soft, warm eyes that calmed down Opal's nerves. Although his words had soothed her, there was still uncertainty lingering in the back of her mind. There was little trust for the Alpha and she still had her worries and fear of him. But, she knew that she had to move forward if she wanted to overcome everything. Last night she had given herself a mental prep-talk about trying new things and to stop thinking about what happened to her if she was to take care of Gabrielle she had to stay strong for her. This was going to be her daughter's new life now, there was no escape from this pack and the Alpha so she might as well try to fit in.

"I'm scared," she whispered again, her stomach churning at all the possibilities of what could happen.

"It's okay to be, you just have to try," he reassured her and rubbed her shoulders softly, presenting a soft smile on his lips.

"Alright, alright. I can do this," she hyped and a small, but confident smile managed it's way onto her lips, her eyes brightening up at the thought of being able to achieve something. In that moment, Trent felt proud to see her wanting to achieve something, her confidence brightening his smile before he pulled her into a warm hug, slowly, he felt her arms wrap around his waist.

"I'm proud of you for doing this," he told her honestly and they slowly unravelled from each other.

"Thank you for helping me," Opal beamed before turning around and resuming making breakfast, her mind clearer as she hummed softly to herself. Trent watched her for few moments before diverging his attention to Gabrielle who was not having any care in the world.

-

A knock on the door startled Opal

Opal had finished making breakfast shortly before she heard the knock and was sitting on a chair eating next to Trent who was gobbling up his food. She knew who was behind the door as the beautiful smell wafted into the room, her stomach churned and her skin prickled with goosebumps, but she was still not sure whether those were good enough. She bit her lip and looked towards the door, Trent didn't make any attempt to get up, too engrossed in his food to notice the door. Opal sighed, taking one glance at Gabrielle before making her decision.