chapter 14

"Thank you for walking me home," Opal whispered softly, careful to not wake Brielle who slept peacefully on her shoulder. James, with a small jump in his step, smiled brightly and nodded.

"It was no problem really," he blushed as he watched her open the door. Opal felt a small smile creep up on her lips as she remembered the hug, feeling her heart race once more at the close proximity, the bond slowly getting the stronger the more they spent time together. She inhaled his beautiful scent, having found comfort in it after a while of struggling and sighed quietly. She turned around and wasn't surprised to see James still waiting by the door as if expecting something.

"Goodnight Opal, I hope to see you for lunch?" he asked her, feeling slightly worried that she would decline his offer as she stared at him. Opal's eyes widened slightly, however her blush did not disappear as she considered her options. It was not a second later that she decided her answer when Citrine yelped out loudly in her mind.

"Sure," she let out, her thoughts racing at all the possible outcomes of tomorrow afternoon as she took a long look at her feet in embarrassment. She could feel James' happiness radiate off him before she realised how close he stood in front of her and took his scent in one more time, feeling slightly relieved of her anxiety.

"Thank you, meet me here tomorrow alright?" he said in a much more softer tone as he brought his hand to her chin which sent electricity flow through both of their veins. Opal's breath got caught in her throat, her instincts inside of her to lean in closer, the animal side of her wanted to stay in this position, loving the attention of her mate. She gulped as her head was slowly lifted up to meet his bright green eyes which filled with so much passion she just wanted to coat herself in it. She watched his eyes slightly turn yellow and noticed how his wolf peaked out in interest, she felt hers do the same. She felt weak under his gaze and nodded as her reply.

"Goodnight, again," he told her, his eyes flicking down to her lips before up again. Her senses went wild at his scent overpowering her, his touch sending her body into haywire in her moment of weakness. She just wanted to tuck her tail away and shift into her wolf form, feeling slightly anxious at his closeness.

"Goodnight A-lpha James," she stuttered and bit her lip. His eyes hardened slightly at his title, Opal could feel a small growl escape his throat.

"It is not Alpha to you, never to you, just call me James, please," he stressed out and Opal frantically nodded, her face flushed as she could feel her entire body grow warm.

"Good, now, goodnight Brielle," he cooed in satisfaction before bending down, much to Opal's surprise, and pressed a soft, lingering kiss against the pups cheek before retreating back, smiling at a flustered Opal. His wolf, Anbuis, felt proud that they were the only ones to make Opal feel this way.

"Sweet dreams Opal," was his final words before turning around and walked out of the house quicker than Opal could catch her breath.

"Damn," she whispered looking at the empty doorway and felt a small pang in her chest at his disappearance, her wolf calling out to his the more she stood there, feeling something she never experienced before for someone else.

She had already missed him.

-

The sun was just peaking above the mountains when Opal got up, brushed her teeth, showered before going downstairs and began her day making pancakes, a mountain of bacon and eggs. Cooking seemed so natural and free, an escape almost reminding her of her old pack, where she called it her home. The thought of being away from there had left aching in her heart, she had missed her small home and struggled to call her new house her own.