Chapter Seven

I got home from an extra long shift at the shack exhausted.  Donna immediately demanded I make dinner, and with a sigh I went to my room and changed out of my uniform.  It wasn't very formal--a shack t-shirt with a pair of jean shorts--but I didn't want to risk getting it dirty while making dinner, seeing as I had less and less time to do simple things like laundry.

        I yawned as I walked back to the kitchen, my mind wandering.  While it was a pain that Donna was making me work extra like this, I was allowed to surf in my free time, which was usually what I spent all of it doing.  In the past week alone I had sharpened a few of my skills, adding in a kickflip that was sure to wow the judges and get me a secure spot in the semifinals.

        I started putting together a quick meal of spaghetti and garlic bread, frying up some hamburger and tossing some lettuce in a bowl for salad.  While the meat and noodles were cooking, I set the table for three--I was too hungry and tired to really eat anything tonight.

        Within the next twenty minutes I had dinner ready, and I called in Donna and the girls.  Once everyone was seated and chatting, I leaned against the counter, closing my eyes and letting out a deep breath.

        "Aren't you going to join us, Lindsey?"

        I blinked my eyes open, glancing at Donna tiredly.  "I don't think so.  I'm not that hungry."

        "Don't be silly," Donna pushed out one of the chairs.  "You are a part of this family, and you'll be joining us for dinner."

        What a joke.

        Too tired to argue, I slid into the seat with a sigh, leaning back and doing my best to ignore the useless gossip being discussed.

        "Did you hear what she did?"

        "Her outfit was absolutely horrid today--"

        "He's totally cute, Mom--"

        "Right, Lindsey?"

        I snapped my head up, meeting Kelly's eyes.  They shone with a cool confidence and I blinked, immediately sensing that I was in dangerous waters.

        "What?" I said, leaning forward slightly.

        "The new kid at school," Kelly said lightly, though the gleam in her eyes betrayed her calm.  "Drew.  You seem to know him pretty well."

        "Oh," I said, shrugging.  "We've talked a few times."

        "Right," Kelly cocked her head, blinking innocently.  "I'm sure you can tell me all about him after dinner."

        Yeah, no.

        "Actually--"

        "C'mon, Lin," Kelly laughed.  "We're sisters.  We should spend more time bonding."

        "Can we bond another time?  I really--"

        "Lindsey," Donna scolded.  "What is going on with you?  First you don't want to eat with the family, now you refuse to talk to your sister?  After all we do for you--"

        "Okay," I cut her off suddenly, agitated.  "Okay, Kelly, we can talk."

        "Fabulous," Kelly shot me a cheeky grin, turning back to Donna.  "So anyway, Mom, he's totally cute and I think maybe if I..."

        I zoned out again, wishing I could go back to my room and go to sleep.  Why Donna was so adamant about me spending time with the family was beyond me, but if she insisted then I would have to listen.  After all, I had just gotten my surfing rights back, and I wasn't ready to give them up over petty fights about family time.