Chapter Four

I collapsed onto my bed, my phone vibrating next to me.

"What now?" I muttered, lifting it up. It was from Jenna.

Where are you?

I sighed. I shouldn't really go surfing, especially this late. Maybe we could go when I didn't have to get up for school or something.

Can't make it. The stepmom decided to throw a party hosted by me. Sorry.

There. I leaned my head back, my eyes already closing against my will. Maybe I could get away with a couple hours of sleep tonight and surf in the morning. Yeah, that's what I would do...

I jolted awake at 4:00 in the morning. How my body managed to get up then, I didn't know, but I blinked and grabbed for my phone. Abbi had texted me dozens of times.

Alright, Fish, this is seriously wrong. You and I both know you need to prep for semi's, and I will not let your stepmom ruin it. I'll be at your house at 4:30, whether you're ready or not.

Was she serious? I squinted at the clock again. Of course Abbi was serious. When was she not serious? I groaned and texted her back.

Fine.

I still felt like crap, my head throbbing. I forced myself out of bed and got ready, feeling clumsier than ever. It was 4:33 when I heard my phone vibrate again.

I'm here asshole.

What a friend, I thought to myself. I scrambled down the hallway, with no close calls or anything whatsoever, not even with Donna. I saw Abbi's red truck and grinned, tossing my surfboard in the back and climbing in shotgun.

"Hey," Abbi put the car in reverse. "What happened? Jenna told us you chickened out."

"She did not!" I laughed. "I was working."

"Working...at the shack?" Abbi eyed me warily and I shrugged.

"Sure."

"You can't be serious.  Your stepmom can't have you working for her as a household servant every—"

"Abbi," I practically sighed the word. Her mouth clamped shut and slowed to a stop at a red light. We drove for a few minutes before she spoke.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—" Abbi let out an exasperated sigh. "I just get so mad. You're one of my best friends, and I hate that you don't even have control over your life."

"I do," I protested. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Uh-huh. You didn't have to sneak out?" Abbi said. "Right."

"We only have half a year left, and then I'll be free of Donna and the steps and be able to go to college," I said. "Get a degree in business, hopefully manage to take over the Shack, run it just like Dad did. Maybe start a chain."

"Unless you win this surf competition. Then you'd have a major career right there," Abbi said, smiling at me. "And I have no doubt you'll win."

"Please, Abbi," I snorted. "There are people like you and Courtney and Jenna I'm going against. I don't have the time to practice as much as you. So I'm kind of just doing this for fun."

"Really," Abbi said. "You, Lindsey, surfing for fun, and not being competitive."

"Okay, fine," I laughed nervously. "I was kind of hoping for a couple wins. Maybe."