Chapter Sixteen

I opened the door to the house and instantly knew something was wrong.

Donna's car hadn't been in the driveway, but the twins' car was. And from the look on Taryn's face, I was in some major trouble.

"I'd run."

"Lindsey Fisher!"

My eyes widened slightly and without another thought I turned, bolting out the door and into the garage. Unfortunately, though I was an athlete, Kelly had some speed and I could hear her racing after me.

I ducked behind a rack of maintenance equipment, spinning and looking at Kelly with wide eyes. "What?"

Her face was bright red, her dark brown hair pulled in a tight pony tail. Her eyes flamed as she jumped forward, shoving the shelf enough that I stumbled back. Oh, she's really pissed.

My eyes flickered to the back door of the garage and I dashed forward, my hand barely brushing the handle as I felt Kelly's grip wrap around my forearm and yank me back, shoving me back against the wall hard.

"Let me go!" I spat, shoving her arm off of me. "I didn't do anything!"

"No?" Kelly jabbed a finger at my face. "I heard your talk with mom the other day."

I stared at her, my stomach flipping, though I tried to keep my face nonchalant. "What are you talking about?"

"You pathetic servant girl, dating the one boy I told you to stay away from," Kelly said through her teeth, bite behind every word.

I blinked, swallowing the hurt from her jab. "Who?"

Kelly looked about ready to slap me, instead clenching her fists at her side. "Don't you dare play dumb with me again. I will end your surfing career—"

"No you won't," I challenged, barely aware of Taryn peeking her head through the door. "Not this close to finals. Your mom wouldn't listen to you. Especially because I'm expected to blow everyone out of the water, including your best friend Courtney—"

"Shut the hell up, brat," Kelly seethed, her eyes narrowing. She reached into her back pocket, pulling out a small piece of paper and holding it up. "Know what this is?"

I stared at her blankly as she unfolded the page, beginning to read slowly and deliberately. "'To my little girl—if you're reading this, I'm gone. I'm sorry. I knew I was going to die—'"

"You went through my stuff!" A sudden rush of anger spread through me and I jumped forward, but Kelly yanked the page out of my reach with a light laugh. "Give that back!"

She cocked her head, a dangerous look in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I thought since you could steal my crush, I could take this wonderfully written note—"

"That was from my dad," my voice was trembling, tears burning behind my eyes. "Give it back, Kelly."

Kelly ignored me, looking back at the page. "'I didn't want to tell you what was happening, because I didn't want you crying. It's okay, Lindsey. Everything will be okay. And even though I'm gone, you're going to make it.'"

"Please," the word was barely a whisper, a few tears slipping out of my eyes. "Please give it back."

Kelly smirked at me, crumpling up the page and shoving it into my chest, hard enough to make me stumble back a step. "I bet if your father knew you were a man-stealing whore, he wouldn't have written you at all."

With that she shoved past me, heading for the door. I barely noticed, staring at nothing, a mixture of anger and hurt churning in my stomach. She threw the door open forcefully, pausing to give me one last glare. "Don't think this is over."