Chapter Six

"That history test was brutal," I groaned, sitting down.  I felt everyone's eyes on me and glanced up.  Jenna's mouth was open in shock, Jake's eyes wide, and Luke blinked.

"Lindsey, what happened?" Jenna gasped.  My eyes flickered over to Abbi, who seemed to be concentrating on her lunch.  Yet I could see the way her jaw tightened a little bit, the flash in her eyes.

"Nothing.  I was, ah, cleaning and hit my face on the counter," I mumbled, having found sudden interest in my pizza, though I wasn't really hungry.

"Great cover," Abbi muttered, and I glared at her.  Jenna's eyes shot from me to her, questioning.  But neither of us said another word, Abbi shoving a piece of broccoli in her mouth and pretending not to see my face.

"O-okay," Jenna sensed something was up and kept eating her macaroni.  "We can play this game."

"Lindsey," Jake said, and I glanced over at him.

"What?" I snapped, already feeling like I knew what he'd ask.

Jake flushed.  "I, uh, wanted to know what was on the test."

"Oh," Instant relief flooded through me.  Jake always knew how to change the subject.  I explained briefly about what was on the test, when Jenna piped up.

"Linds, I've still got your junk board, if you want it—"  My heart caught in my throat and I looked down, then stood too quickly.

"I've got to go, guys," I shook my head.  "I—I have to get some notes from Ms. Jackson."  With that, I dumped my trash in the garbage and walked briskly out of the room, into the dimly lit hallway.

"Lindsey," I heard Abbi and tensed.  Not now, I silently thought.  We had our heartfelt moment this morning, Abbi.  No more.

"Lindsey, wait," Abbi caught my arm and I turned to face her.

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

"Don't do this to them," Abbi pleaded.  "They deserve to know what's going on."

"No, they don't," I said.  "deserve to know what's going on, and that's it."

"You told me," Abbi cocked her head, searching my eyes.

"You caught me before school."

"Bullshit."

"Do I have to have a reason to tell you?" I snapped.  "Do you wish I hadn't?"

"You know that's not what I'm saying," her voice was firm.

"Abbi," I clenched my jaw, looking away.  "I—you're the only one, of all of them, who would understand."  Abbi remained silent and I looked up, meeting her eyes evenly.

"When my dad died, you didn't tell me how sorry you felt for me.  Or how terrible it must feel."  I took a deep breath.  "And then, when all I wanted was someone to sit there and take it with me, you did.  We didn't talk much, but you stayed with me, for hours and hours," My breath caught in my throat, as I remembered how everything had happened.  "For an entire evening, we just sat and felt bad about ourselves, and missed my dad.  And that was exactly what I needed."

And then Abbi pulled me into a hug, holding me tight.  I took a deep breath, closing my eyes, so thankful for my friend.

 "So," Abbi's mouth turned up in a sort of smile.  "I was thinking, maybe, since you'd decided to tell your step mom—maybe if I were there, it would help?"

I blinked.  Abbi...there...meeting Donna. "Um..."

"What?" Abbi frowned.

"I just...don't know...if that's—" I sucked in a sharp breath.  "Yeah.  Yeah, you could come."