Chapter Twenty Two

"Where's lover boy today?"

I shook my head, letting out a small laugh as I tossed the football towards Jake and Luke. I turned to look at Abbi, barely aware of Jake letting out a shout as Luke practically tackled him to the ground. "I don't know. I think he went to a meeting with his dad."

I looked up just as Luke chucked the football our way. Abbi shoved me sideways, reaching up and grabbing the ball before shooting me a grin.

"I'm taking it easy on you," I scoffed as she threw the ball back to the boys. "I don't want to give you another concussion."

Abbi rolled her eyes dramatically. "My head's been healed for, like, a week now."

"Yep," I said, giving her a pointed glance. "It's like it never even happened."

"I'm serious," Abbi protested. "I'm totally back to normal."

I grinned at her as the ball came flying our way, jumping in front of her and laughing as she shoved me forward just as the leather hit my palms. I turned, wiggling the football in front of her.

"You're right," I teased. "You're totally back to normal. Still suck at football."

She scowled, reaching out to grab the ball, but I yanked it back before she could. I let out a laugh as she jumped towards me, dancing out of the way and turning just as the two boys came barreling towards us.

"Oh, shoot."

The words had just left my mouth as Luke caught me, throwing me up over his shoulder and knocking the ball from my hands. I let out a shocked laugh, slapping my hand on his back hard enough to make him drop me to the ground.

"Damn, Lindsey," he said with a grimace, straightening his back out. "That hurt."

"Your back or your pride?" Abbi shot at him, receiving a sharp glare in response. She laughed, picking up the ball and tossing it over to Jake. "What time do you have to work, Fish?"

"Five," I said, reaching over and snagging my phone off the ground. "We have two hours."

"You guys up for McDonalds?"

"Always," Jake said, shoving the football into Luke's chest. "I'll race you to the car."

With that, both boys took off towards the parking lot as Abbi and I grabbed our things off the ground. She shook her head, a half smile on her lips. "Boys."

"They're so weird."

"Have you asked Donna about that party yet?"

At the mention of it I let out a sigh. Drew's dad was hosting a party over some award he had won, and Drew insisted that I be there. I had promised him I would at least ask Donna, though I knew the odds of her letting me go were slim to none. Not that it mattered to me—I didn't like parties anyway.

"Nope," I said, climbing into the backseat of Luke's car. "I will. Eventually."

"It's this weekend," Abbi pointed out. "You're running out of time, Fish."

"I know, I know," I shook my head as Luke pulled out of the parking lot, his and Jake's chatter drowning out Abbi and I's conversation. "I'll ask tonight."

"I'll expect a call," Abbi said with a half-grin. "Bet you ten bucks she'll let you go."

"No way," I said with a laugh. "I already know she won't."