Chapter Twenty Seven

Drew glanced at his phone anxiously before scanning the beach again for any sign of Lindsey. It wasn't like her to be late, especially this late, especially on this day. He spotted Courtney off to the side, wiping down her board, and the two other competitors chatting away with friends. Clenching his jaw, he dialed her number again, a pang of worry hitting his chest when it hit voicemail.

"Where is she?" Jake asked as Drew came back to their circle. Drew shook his head, his eyes finding Abbi's.

"She's not answering."

Abbi blinked. "Something is wrong."

Drew nodded somberly, looking up just as Donna came wobbling towards them in her flimsy shoes. Her face was bright red, her frustration apparent.

"Lindsey, dear, I just heard that because you're eighteen, this prize money goes to you. I wanted to speak with you to discuss—where is she?"

Donna's frazzled speech cut off as she looked around the circle, receiving blank stares in response. Her gaze snapped to Drew's, who shook his head.

"Uh, bathroom."

"Well, when she gets back, tell her I need to speak with her. Immediately," Donna huffed, heading back over to where she had set up her towel in the sand. Drew waited until she was far enough away before looking back at the group.

"Maybe if we—" his words cut off when his phone buzzed, his attention immediately on the text message he had received.

Drew—meet at our place.

"I know where she is," Drew said, shoving his phone in his pocket. "I'm going to get her."

"I'm coming with you," Abbi said, stepping forward before looking back at the rest of their friends. "You guys wait here. We'll be back in a few."

And with that, the two rushed off towards the rocks to find Lindsey.

*********************************************************************************

My eyes snapped open to darkness.

I jerked up suddenly, my breath catching in my throat. Memories of the night before rushed to my brain and I held a hand to my hair, my eyes widening. Rushing to my feet, I threw myself at the door, panic seizing my chest when I found it locked. I wasn't dreaming.

I had no way of telling what time it was, especially considering I had fallen asleep at some point. By now, I could have missed the competition entirely. The very thought made my stomach twist into a tight knot and I sat down, forcing myself to breathe.

In spite of everything, a sense of defeat was starting to take root in my chest, infecting every part of me. My body felt heavy and exhausted as I stared at the door, shaking my head slightly.

It was over. Everything was slipping through my fingers, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

********************************************************************************

"Lindsey," Drew rushed in through the opening of the rocky cave, his heart hammering in his chest as he saw the outline of a person at the edge of the cliff. "Lindsey!"

He and Abbi burst into the cave area just as the person turned around, making them freeze.

"Kelly?"