Chapter Fourteen

Drew,

I have to be honest with you. You deserve that much.

It was me.

The girl who was surfing, the girl who you talked to at the beach, the girl who you've been looking for. And I've lied to you, but I don't want to anymore.

Because I want you to stop searching.

I want you to find me.

I don't know if you feel the same way, but I think I might be in love with you.

And if you don't want to try this, we don't have to. But if you do, then meet me at our place. 6 o'clock. I'll be waiting.

-Fish

********************************************************************************************

I heard the bells above the door ring as I counted out bills. "Hi, welcome to the shack, I'll be with you in—"

A hand slammed down on the counter and I jumped, looking up to find the murderous glare of Kelly. I frowned, opening my mouth to speak, but then glanced down at the two pieces of paper she had just slapped down.

"Shit."

"It was you."

"I—" My face grew warm and I shook my head, my eyes flickering between Drew's picture of me and the newspaper article, which featured a blown up shot of Drew and I's embrace following semi-finals. "No. Uh, I don't know why you would think it was me, but it's—it wasn't—"

"Please stop playing dumb, it gives me a migraine," Kelly snapped, pinching the bridge of her nose. "How the hell did you pull it off?"

"What?"

"Getting him to fall for you," Kelly let out a harsh laugh. "I should've seen this coming."

"I—"

"Of course you wouldn't listen to me," she said, ignoring my protests. "Of course you would go after the guy I liked, and of course you would manage to make him fall in love with you—"

"Kelly—"

"Stop!" Kelly's eyes flashed and I froze, watching her carefully. "I don't care how it happened. I don't care how you did it. But I want you to stop it. Right now."

My brow creased. "Stop it?"

"Tell him the truth," Kelly said tightly, leaning in closer to me. "That you have no feelings for him, that it was all a big misunderstanding, and you would appreciate it if he would leave you alone."

My jaw dropped. "You can't expect me to—"

"I can," Kelly leaned back, obviously still angry, but putting up a calm, collected façade. "I can end your surfing career in an instant, Lindsey Fisher."

"No, you can't."

"Yes, I can," Kelly said. "All I'd have to do is prove to mom how much you've been slacking around the house lately—"

"Excuse me?"

"And how your grades have been dropping—"

"My grades are fine—"