Chapter Twenty Nine

"Lindsey!"

I turned on my board, the waves bobbing underneath me as my eyes found the familiar figure standing on the beach. A smile rose to my lips and I wiped my wet hair back from my eyes.

"One more wave!"

"You said that last time," Drew's voice carried out over the waters but I pretended not to hear him, turning and paddling out further on the waves. I knew I was running way behind schedule, but the weather was too perfect for me to not be surfing.

A massive buildup caught my eye on the eastern side of the waves and I paddled that direction, spinning at the last second and leaping up onto my board. For what felt like the hundredth time that day, a rush spread through my whole body as the water carried me forward, spraying up to my face.

I landed a few simple moves, adrenaline coursing through my body as I shot into a 360, the move feeling effortless. The moment my board hit the waters I coasted towards the edge of the wave, hopping off into the blue sea.

When I came up, I grinned at Drew, who was now sitting and playing with shells in the sand. I paddled into shore, jogging up and holding a hand out. Drew took it, hoisting himself to his feet and smiling widely at me.

"Good wave."

"Thanks."

"We're totally late," he took my hand as we walked up towards his car. "How fast do you think you can get ready?"

"Probably half an hour."

"Cool," Drew took my board, tossing it in the back of his truck as I climbed in the passenger's seat. "I'm starving. Want to grab some Taco Bell?"

"Yes please."

We coasted out of the parking lot and towards town, stopping at Taco Bell and grabbing some food before driving over to my apartment. I had moved in a week after the competition, when I received the prize money, finally escaping Donna and the girls. The new place was even closer to the beach than my house had been, and though it was small, it had a perfect view of the ocean and was right next to Taco Bell.

Drew and I jogged up the stairs to the second floor and I popped my door open, taking a bite of my quesadilla as he tossed his keys on the counter.

"I'm going to change," I said, setting my food down on the small table in the center of the mini kitchen. "I'll be out in fifteen minutes. Go get dressed. Don't touch my food."

"No promises."

"I mean it, Drew," I fixed him with a glare and he laughed as I headed back to my single bedroom, closing the door behind me. I quickly showered, rinsing the salty water out of my hair and the sand off my feet. Hopping out, I dried myself with a towel, flipping my head up and grinning at myself in the mirror. My hair was a frazzled mess around my head, my skin still bright red from the shower.

I grabbed my blow dryer, drying my hair quickly and patting some foundation on my face. I turned to study the outfit laid out on my bed and looked back at the mirror, shaking my head slightly before heading into my room.

With a sigh, I stepped into the dress, turning and studying myself in the mirror. The dress was long, with a high neck and a beaded top. The bottom half was mint green and it had a natural waistline with an open back. I stepped back into the bathroom, finishing up with some light makeup and putting my hair in a braided up-do. I clasped a silver bracelet on my wrist, slipping on my heels and heading back into the kitchen where Drew was waiting.