Chapter Eleven

Semi-finals.

I had practiced extra hours all week, staying out late and waking up early every day. Donna had added hours at the Shack as a punishment for ditching her, but Braxton had covered my later hours so I could go surf.

And now, I was ready.

Sort of.

I had landed my 360 a whopping two times, but for this competition it shouldn't be necessary. I could stick with my kick flips and other trick moves I had nailed a million times, and that would be enough to at least place.

The top three of the semi-finals went on to the finals, meeting up with the top six from the northern region. The north and south had two separate finals, and the top three from each of those would go on to the championship. The winner of that won it all, and I was determined to be on top of that podium.

The sand shifted between my toes as I wiped my board—my junk board, since Donna hadn't taken me to get my new surfboard. After the incident at the Shack, I had been hesitant to bring up the issue again, and Donna had completely forgotten. It didn't matter, though, for I was confident I could win with any board.

Or at least that was what I kept telling myself.

"Fish!" I turned, a smile coming to my face as Jenna jogged over. "This is crazy, huh?"

"Yeah," I shook my head, looking out at the water. "The waves are amazing."

"Remember when we were little and we'd come watch the big competition together?" Jenna smiled. "And now we're in it."

"It's insane," I sat back in the sand, letting out a deep breath. "Have you seen Abbi?"

"She was with her dad last I checked," Jenna shrugged, sitting down next to me. "What's on your mind?"

"Winning," I said simply, before looking down. "I have to place, Jenna."

"You'll be fine," Jenna threw her arm over my shoulder. "There are three places, Linds. And three of us. We're all going to be fine."

I gave her a grateful smile. "How have things been with your dad?"

Jenna's smile fell for a second, but she recovered quickly. "Great."

That's how Jenna always described her relationship. Great. We all knew it was anything but that, but I didn't press the issue any further. Instead, I squeezed her hand before getting to my feet, dusting off the sand on my legs.

"Lindsey!" I glanced up as Donna strutted towards me, a designer bag on her arm and thick sunglasses over her eyes. "How are you feeling, honey?"

"Alright, I guess," I shot Jenna a look and she nodded, getting to her feet and jogging off in the direction of her board. "The waves are looking good."

"And you feel ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," I forced a smile, rubbing my palms nervously. "Are you staying to watch the competition?"

"Of course, dear," Donna put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm here to support you. And I've brought your sisters as well."

I couldn't help but feel a swell of happiness rising in my chest, nodding at Donna. "Thank you. This means a lot."