Chapter Twenty Five

"So what are you going to do?" Abbi's voice was muffled, her head buried inside her closet as she searched for something to wear.

"Hold on to the letter until my birthday," I said. "Then take it to Donna along with a lawyer."

"Then what?"

"I'll be owning the Shack, so in a couple of weeks I should have enough money to put a down payment on an apartment," I said. "Until then, I was hoping I could...stay here?"

Abbi peeked her head out of the closet, shooting me a wide grin. "Of course. Mi casa es tu casa."

"Thanks," I said. "And once I have my own place, I can take online college courses in business. Get my degree while still having plenty of time to surf and help out at the Shack. Until I have my degree and know how to manage the place, I figured I could have Mike run it. He used to work with my dad behind the scenes, so he knows a little bit about the managing stuff. Even if he is lazy when he works."

"Sounds like you've got it all set out, Fish," Abbi emerged from her closet, tossing a few outfits on the bed. "But have you thought about the championship?"

"Thought about it? Of course. It's all I think about."

"Well if you win that, the grand prize would go to you," Abbi said, frowning down at a blue dress before putting it back in the closet. "Since you're turning eighteen a day before the competition. Which would mean you'd have plenty of money to get an apartment right away. You could move out the day after the championship."

I blinked. "Oh."

"Yeah," Abbi said, raising her eyebrows at me. "You've got a good chance, Lindsey. You could really win this thing."

I nodded slightly just as my phone blared. I glanced at the caller ID, letting out a sigh. "Donna."

"You gotta run?"

"Per usual," I shot her a grin. "I'll see you tonight."

"Sounds good," Abbi said as I tapped my screen to answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Lindsey, dear, are you almost home from surfing? We have to get ready for the ceremony tonight," Donna said as something crashed in the background. I hopped in my car, leaning my head back against the headrest.

"Yep. Be home in a few."

"Okay. Do you have something to wear?"

"I laid out a couple of—"

"I'll go pick one out," Donna cut me off. "I'll see you soon."

With that, she hung up, and I set my phone in the cupholder and started the car up. Prior to the championship, a large party was held for the finalists who made it. It was basically a news conference, where the four of us who made it to the top would answer questions and meet the people who would be our judges. It was a formal dinner, something I was not too thrilled about, but it was an open invite to any who wanted to come so I had plenty of friends joining me.

I pulled into my driveway, hopping out of the car and into the house. I tossed my keys on the counter, walking back to my room and peeking in to see Donna rushing about.

"I'm home."

"Lindsey!" Donna's face was lit with excitement as she rushed towards me. I understood completely; while she knew nothing about surfing, Donna definitely knew how to attend a dinner party in style.