I should have stopped to paint our picture- capture honest, pure, affection

The sound of our hearts beating was the only sound that could be heard aside from the faint ruffling of sheets and blankets. I paid close attention to the intakes of breath- how her chest would rise and sink. I counted each heartbeats as she fell asleep. 

She was beautiful. 

The way her hair spread out on her pillow, the way her curves seemed to command my attention, it was all just- beautiful. I thought about her flaws- the ones she always talked of, but could never be found. I thought of how it didn't make sense that she didn't see her beauty.

She turned onto her side, without waking. The hem of her shirt fell into the curve of her waist to show her pointed hip bone. How I longed to reach and touch her, to hold her like she was mine. How I longed to tell her how beautiful she was, and tell her how much I care. Her shoulder blades pointed outward, threatening to break the skin that held them back. Her small tank top revealed even more of her than the small black dress she had been wearing earlier.

Again, she turned to face me. Her eyes stayed shut. I thought about what was under those eyes- a dark brown abyss that seem to grab ahold of you and capture your soul. The countless hours spent getting lost in those eyes flood back into my memory. A small strand of hair fell into her face and I reached my hand out to move it. I grasped it between my two fingers and placed it behind her ear. As I pulled my hand away, her eyes opened. She just watched me- not saying anything. 

"Hey." I whispered.

Her lips curved upward slightly. "Hey."

Quiet once again, she starred into my eyes. 

Neither of us said another word.