Nicotene Poisoning

You tasted like menthol and warm expresso. Addicting and oddly comforting. The smell comes back to me often, making me relapse time and time again. One wiff and i'm suddenly back in your second story loft. I can almost feel the warmth of the mint green blanket covered in snowflakes. I can hear the disinterest in your voice all over again. What is it about you that made me stay?
Curled up on your leather sofa, i'm watching you stand in the center of your family room, watching me. I can see the frustration on your face. I can feel the wall between us. You're right in front of me, but I can't reach you. I could never quite reach you. Did you even want me to?
Love's funny. You can give your whole heart to someone, thinking they want it, and have them hand it back to you frantically. Maybe we went too fast, maybe I just wasn't enough, maybe my pieces didnt quite fit your pieces. There's no closure when someone just stops loving. Have you found closure?
I thought love faded. I thought I would see it coming when someone wants to return my heart to me. I didn't expect to feel your warmth and your love, then to be nothing the very next day. Did you expect to wake up and forget who I am?
I tried to get over you. Its the classic story- getting over you by getting under someone new. It never works, does it?
This is the letter of how you broke my heart. This is the letter of me confessing that I fell in love with you before I ever got the chance to tell you.
You were nothing that I wanted and I never saw it coming. Looking back, I dont understand why I was with you at all. We didn't fit. We weren't alike. I loved you anyway. Could you feel it?
You made me feel terrible about myself. I felt belittled. I even felt betrayed. I'm not sure if you ever liked me or if you liked the idea of me. So cliche and yet so accurate. Did you find what you were looking for in me?
I can hear you playing piano. I can hear your coffee machine. I can hear you snoring, yes, I'm pointing it out again. You pointed out my quirks to make me feel bad about them, to make me change them. I pointed out your quirks to show how i've fallen in love with them, and how i never wanted you to change. Have you tried to erase any parts of yourself for me?
You're up north now, living the life youve planned. I'm experiencing new things, but stuck with an addiction that brings me back to you with every inhale. Do you think about me when you drive past my town?
I'm stuck here, sucking nicotine into my lungs until I feel nauseous, remembering what it was like to be close to you. Do you ever even think of me?