38. The Mentor

-Chase-

-Chase-

It was a bit of a struggle to get Dante into his cage, but everything worked out in the end. A short moment later, I sat down behind the computer in the lounge with Roe, who had arrived to save my ass just in time, and turned on the cameras so I could see how Dante was doing.

"Chase? Could you remove your shirt, please?" Ben asked as he joined me, carrying a big, old briefcase with him.

I did as he asked without taking my eyes off Dante for longer than a second. I was still absolutely furious, so talking didn't seem like a great idea.

"Can you move your arm?"

I glanced at the three, deep wounds on my upper arm, and nodded. "Just a scratch..."

"Right..." Ben muttered as he hurried to press a towel on the wounds. "I have a healing salve here–"

"I don't care! Just do it!" I hissed, failing to hold my tongue. "Sorry... Just fix it..." I added with a kinder tone.

Then, I turned to glare at Frank, that fucking idiot mentor of mine. He was still standing at the top of the stairs, his face pale with a spooked expression.

"Why are you here?" I asked, making him snap out of it.

"You didn't answer my calls," he said, walking towards me. "I thought you were dead."

"How did you get here?" I asked, wanting to strangle the man.

"Since you didn't pick up, I teleported into your home. I searched for you, but all I found was that," he said, pointing at the open portal that led into my living room.

"You had no right to barge into my home!" I yelled, losing my temper again.

"I thought you were dead!" he yelled back at me, stopping in front of me.

"You know I won't let anything happen to him," Roe snapped at him – he, too, was pissed at my teacher.

Frank didn't reply to us. He stopped to look at the monitors too, his expression turning sour. I turned my attention back to Dante, who was finally calming down. The second screen was showing the lab, and my mood dropped even more.

"I'm sorry about your equipment," I muttered to Ben.

The lab was fucked.

"Don't worry about it," the old man said while applying the salve on my arm, stopping the bleeding. And the pain. I had barely even noticed it before. "I've been working with these patients for long enough to know to always have spare everything."

"I'll try to fix them later," Roe sighed.

"Thank you."

"So," I turned to look at Frank. "I'm alive, so you can leave now before you cause any more trouble. As you can see, I have a sick werewolf in my hands, and I don't have time for the shop right now."