60. The Mastermind

-Chase-

-Chase-

When I laid my eyes on Killian, I was immediately filled with rage. My need to burn him to dust nearly suffocated me, but somehow I managed to contain myself. His life was not mine to take.

Hearing my Dante eased up my burning anger. That magnificent beast was even angrier than I was. I'd never seen him so angry before. I'd never heard him growl that loud before. He was attacking the cage with his full might, not backing down even for a second. The cage muffled the worst of the sounds, but even then, my ears hurt as his sharp claws clashed against the metal.

I was honestly surprised the cage could still hold him.

And I was disappointed that Killian didn't even try to attack Roe and me during our little chat. Pathetic. To think that this man was the reason we'd spent so long hiding... To think he had killed me.

I got bored with him, so I walked to Dante's cage and opened the door for him. He was wearing a ridiculous collar. I felt flutters in my stomach when he stepped out in his full glory and stopped to stare at me. I wasn't afraid. That was my baby, after all. Our eyes met for a short moment, and he took in my scent. Somehow, I knew I was fine.

He was angry as hell, but his rage was not aimed at me.

I smiled when he turned to look at Killian. I watched with pride when my beast ran after him without giving it a second thought. I was sad when they ran out to the hallway and the doors flew back shut and I couldn't see the moment my love finally got his revenge.

At least I could hear it.

As the growls and the screams quieted down, I turned to look at Roe.

"I wished it would take longer than that," I sighed.

"We can't always have everything," he said sympathetically. "At least Dante seems happy."

"Yes, he does," I smiled at him and walked to the door.

I pushed it open, revealing a big, bloody mess in the middle of the hallway, and Dante licking his lips. He noticed me right away and turned to face me, lowering his head and letting out a growl.

"Is my baby still mad?" I cooed as I walked closer. "I know, I know... This place sucks."

He took a step closer to me, keeping his eyes on mine. Roe stayed behind, ready to teleport us both out of here if Dante was still hungry for more, but the beast seemed content. For a rage machine.

"If Ben is right, you should be turning back to human now," I said quietly – Killian was definitely missing a heart. Among other things.

Dante took another step towards me, sniffing the air. He seemed confused.

"Baby?"

He suddenly let out a painful growl, his entire body tensing up. A few seconds later, his transformation started. It sounded so painful...