31. Forgotten Moments

-Dante-

-Dante-

The cat was staring at me.

The sun was already up, Chase was fast asleep next to me, and Eru was sitting at the bottom of the bed, silently judging me with her tail wrapped around her paws. She hadn't moved in a long while. She wasn't even blinking.

"Are you... planning my murder?" I asked quietly.

She squinted her eyes at me.

"Do you... need something?"

She let out a tiny meow and jumped off the bed. I pushed myself up to see where she went and saw her going to the fridge. There, she turned to look at me and meowed again.

"You hungry?" I asked, suddenly realizing Chase hadn't fed her last night. I got out of the bed, making sure I didn't wake up her human and put on my pants. Eru meowed a bit louder when I stopped next to her and opened the fridge. "I don't see your food in here," I told the cat.

I got an angrier meow as a reply.

I peered at Chase's bag, but I knew not to put my hand in there. I had the feeling I'd turn into a lizard if I tried to touch something that belonged to a warlock. Instead, I turned to look at Eru again.

"Is ham okay?" I asked, taking a big plateful of sandwiches out of the fridge.

When I sat down at the table, Eru jumped on it and sniffed the food.

"Let's see..." I murmured, grabbing one from the pile and removed the wrappings, before pulling a big slice of ham out of it. "Here..."

She took the ham from me without hesitation and started eating it. She glared at me now and then while she ate, but otherwise, she was focused on her food.

I took a bite of the now hamless sandwich. "I know you don't like me," I spoke quietly. "And I can't blame you... Chase is now in constant danger because of me, although Roeruiz did promise to protect him."

What Chase and I did last night... Maybe it shouldn't have happened...

Eru finished her ham in record time and turned to look at the sandwiches. I grabbed another one, gave her the ham and started eating the rest of it, thinking about last night. I didn't regret it, not even a little, and that made me feel guilty. I should've regretted it. I shouldn't have let our relationship grow any deeper, but I wanted it to happen...

I turned to look at Chase. He was sleeping on his stomach, hugging his pillow under the covers. The gorgeous view of him and the mountain range was worth taking a picture, but I didn't even have a phone. I tried to take in every little detail from his slowly rising back to the sunshine on top of the mountains so I would never forget that moment or the warm feeling I had inside me. It was a good memory to take with me to the afterlife.