17. Benjamin Heist

-Dante-

-Dante-

Once we finally got to the hotel, we were both exhausted after the long drive. Chase was doing his best to not let me see how tired he was, but I could tell the drive had been a bit too much for him. It looked like even his small bag was heavy enough to pull him down when he grabbed it, so I hurried to take it from him.

After checking in to the hotel – me being paranoid about my new identity – we headed straight in our room to get some sleep. Chase didn't let me start worrying about sleeping in the same room with him in case I turned bad again. He just shoved the potion in my hands without saying a word. I knew he was way too tired – and in pain – to talk and I knew I was only annoying him even more, so I just drank the potion.

When I curled under the covers, I was miserable. His silence was almost too much for my tired mind... I felt cold and lonely and sad, but before those emotions could take control, I could feel Chase sitting on the edge of my bed, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"You don't have to worry about a thing," he spoke softly. "Tomorrow we'll know a lot more." I nodded, turning around to see him. He had a tired smile on his lips, and he touched my cheek. "Sleep tight."

All those sad feelings were immediately washed away.

I guess the potion kicked in at that moment since when I woke up the next morning, I couldn't even remember if he had left my side. I forced my eyes open, feeling groggy, and saw his empty bed. It was bright in the room.

"Chase...?" I mumbled.

"In the bathroom," I heard his cheery voice and soon he stepped into my view wearing only a white towel on his hips. "Did you sleep well?"

"You tell me," I muttered, trying to clear my throat.

"You did," he smirked. "Well, at least I think so – I didn't wake up even once during the night."

"What time is it?"

"Twenty minutes past ten – we missed the breakfast already but there's a coffee shop down the road," he spoke, stepping back into the bathroom.

"Sure..." I muttered, already feeling anxious about stepping into a crowded place.

I pushed myself up from the bed and looked around in our tiny room. It was nothing special, just a basic hotel room, but there was a balcony. I walked to the door and opened it, letting in the fresh air. The view was really nice since the hotel was located on a hillside, facing the tiny town and a lake. I hadn't even noticed them last night.

"Gorgeous, isn't it?" Chase asked right behind me, making me jump. "Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to scare you..." he chuckled apologetically, placing his hand on my bare shoulder.

"Sneaking up on me... That can be deadly, you know," I grunted, but he just laughed lightly. "You're in a good mood," I added.

"Of course! I slept like twelve hours and today we will find out more about you!" he practically chirped and walked to his bed, leaving a cold spot on my shoulder where his hand had been. "And I don't have to be at work!"