25. Surprise Visitor

-Dante-

-Dante-

At first, I wasn't sure why I woke up. I knew there was a reason for it, but in my groggy state, it took me a while to figure it out. Then, I opened my eyes and saw Chase standing alone by the window, holding something in his hand, unable to rip his eyes off it.

"Chase...?"

He nearly jumped when I spoke his name and turned to look at me. I could immediately tell something big had happened – the look on his face gave it away.

"Dante," he smiled widely and came to sit down next to me. "Guess what?"

He showed me a necklace, and I asked what it was.

"Roe gave it to me – you just missed him – he wants me to take it to this merchant who might have a book about blood spells!" he explained so fast I had to ask him to repeat his words.

"Blood spells?" I frowned after the second round.

"Sounds scary, I know, but it might be useful for us," he spoke with sparkling eyes. "It may have the cure!"

For some reason, I didn't share his enthusiasm. "That... sounds convenient," I said slowly.

"Roe told me where to find him – I have to go see him first thing in the morning," Chase continued and stood up. He took a few steps towards the window before he returned to the bed like he was unable to hold still. "This could be it," he said in excitement.

"You're going to see him?" I repeated. "Don't you mean we?"

Chase's smile vanished. "I'll go alone – he's just a merchant. I'll be fine on my own and you need to stay here and rest," he said sternly.

"I'm not letting you go alone," I said, pushing myself up from the bed. "I feel much better."

"You're not coming," he said, putting the necklace safely in his pocket. "I'm just running errands."

"I'm coming with you."

"No, you're not."

"Chase, I'm–"

"No, you're not," he said loud and clear, getting seemingly angry with me. I snapped my mouth shut, and he sighed. "Look, I'm just running errands. It's not any different than getting groceries. I'll be fine, and you need to rest."

I glared at him for a second and then turned away. I was also getting angry, and that was the worst emotion I could have. "Do what you want..."

"Dante..." he breathed out my name and I felt the bed sifting under me when he joined me on it. "I'll just go grab that book – it's no big deal. You know I'd love to take you with me and show you my world, but you almost died. That's my fault. I can't forgive myself."