26. Two Books and a Skeleton

-Chase-

-Chase-

I was really reluctant to leave Dante alone, but I couldn't take him with me. I really wished there was a time when nothing was threatening us, and I could show him everything about my world. The fear of losing him right after I got him back was slowly eating me away...

I should've seen the gem I had back when Dante was still a human. I should've stopped him from leaving me. None of this would've happened... But no... I was young and stupid and so goddamn self-absorbed to see past the money and the looks.

When I stepped through the portal, part of me wanted to immediately go back to make sure Dante was still all right. I didn't. Instead, I looked up at the large hall that opened in front of me. It was the visitors' entrance to Sikjdri, the capital city of Njizrski.

The hall was five stories high, the middle part open so I could see all the way to the top floor. The walls were lined with dozens of archways where the portals kept emerging and disappearing as the travelers came and went. On the ground floor where I was in, the center had a big garden of small, crooked trees that never grew any leaves or flowers, but the branches moved around a few inches every day. These trees were rare and expensive, and I had always found them fascinating. I would've gotten one for myself, but they didn't survive outside of Njizrski.

When my portal vanished, I moved away from the arch to make room for the next person that was coming in. Eru climbed on my shoulder as I started making my way towards the main entrance, wrapping her tail around my neck. She wasn't particularly careful with her claws as she tried to keep herself in balance, but I had gotten used to it.

Once outside, I took a better hold of my bag and started walking down the main street. It was so refreshing to be back there. I had truly missed Njizrski. Some humans were fun, but it was so exhausting to be careful with my words and make sure they didn't find out I was a warlock.

It wasn't the only reason why I loved Njizrski. For one, I had felt the new surge of power going through me immediately after stepping through the portal, and two, the climate was perfect. Not too hot, not too cold, the air was dry and clean, and the vibrant smells and colors pleased every fiber of my soul. I felt like I was home.

And I wished Dante was there with me. I was sure he would enjoy the small houses, the colorful nature, and the diverse people just as much as I did.

I passed by the shops and taverns, trying not to bump into the humans and demons wandering the streets. The merchant I was going to visit had a shop in the city, but these beings didn't really care about street names or numbers. All I had was a map drawn by Roe, and he didn't have a single clue about art. Or holding a pen, by the looks of it.

I sighed as I peered down at the piece of paper he had given me. I wasn't sure if it was a map or instructions to perform a ritualistic killing of myself, but I tried to follow it the best I could.