37. Never Giving Up

-Dante-

-Dante-

"Dante?"

I stared at the snow under me. I tried to move but couldn't. Something was holding me back. I nearly panicked, trying to yank myself free, but it did nothing. My ears hurt from the sharp sounds of metal chains.

"Dante? Can you hear me?"

I had the worst taste in my mouth. It burned my tongue and throat like someone had mixed acid and the hottest jalapenos together and force-fed it to me.

"Baby?"

I looked up and saw Chase taking a step closer to me, his beautiful face turned into a worried frown. When he took another step closer, I was suddenly caught in such horrible pain it felt like my body had burst out in flames.

"Dante?!"

I blinked, and the darkness surrounded me.

When I opened my eyes, the lights were so bright I couldn't see anything. My body had never felt so heavy before. I could hear the sounds of chirping birds, but I hardly registered it. The bad taste was gone, and when I moved my hand, I felt soft sheets brushing against my skin.

Little by little, my eyes adjusted to the brightness, and I saw a wooden ceiling above my head. A familiar ceiling. I turned to look on my right, realizing I was in our room in Ben's house. When I turned left, I saw Chase curled up in an armchair right next to the bed. He stared at me in silence.

My heart sank immediately upon seeing his red eyes.

It took me a moment to find some kind of mental balance so I could push myself to sit up. Chase was watching me without blinking, but he still didn't say a word. I put the pillows behind my back, taking my time to get comfortable, before I turned to look at him again.

"It... didn't work, then," I muttered, trying not to get crushed by my own words.

He shook his head, his lip trembling for a moment, but then he looked away. He took a few, deep breaths before he spoke with a broken voice, "It did make you turn back, though."

"Chase..." I whispered, patting the spot next to me, and he immediately flung himself onto the bed and crawled on my lap. "We'll find something else," I said, while he buried his head onto my shoulder.

I didn't really believe myself, but I couldn't stand seeing him so devastated.

"Ben and Aaliyah are studying the spell, trying to... to... I don't even know what they're trying to do..." he murmured.

"Have you slept at all?" I asked, and he shook his head. "Chase, you need to rest."

"I can't... I need to find that cure," he said, trying to get up again, but I didn't let him. "There's no time to waste!"