59. Revenge

-Chase-

-Chase-

Their magical barriers were surprisingly strong. It was clear they weren't strong enough to hold us back, but they sure were taking a lot of damage without giving up. Since the barriers could only be broken by magic, we demons were in charge of bringing it down. The pixies had a few good tricks to help us, too, but their main task was to keep the humans away.

The ground under our feet was constantly shaking as the drills were getting deeper and deeper. They'd have to stop once they reached the barrier, so if we couldn't get it down, we were stuck here. And time wasn't on our side. They could be transferring everyone and everything through their portals as we spoke. They most likely were.

Blast after blast, we attacked against the invisible wall. It was good exercise for me, and little by little, I started getting the hang of it. I really wanted to test my full power, but the fear of killing everyone in sight held me back, no matter how badly I needed to get to Dante. He wouldn't forgive me if I risked everyone's lives like that. I wouldn't either, to be honest.

But time was running out! If they hadn't taken Dante away yet, they would be now. They were having way too much time to get away from our reach! I hated this. I hated how weak I still was. If only the barrier would break... They really had been prepared for us. Every time we thought we'd made a huge crack in it, the damages vanished as the barrier renewed itself.

It was getting frustrating.

"It's growing weaker!" Izha yelled somewhere down the hill.

"Are you sure?" I yelled back – I hadn't noticed any change in the barrier.

"It is," Roe said reassuringly. "See? It's getting slower to recover from our attacks!"

If I stared at the barrier, waiting for the ripples and the lines to appear after each blast, I could finally tell they were right. The cracks stayed longer every time a blast hit it!

"Keep going!" I yelled.

This knowledge gave us all new energy. The barrier was exhausting us, but our most important job was to get through, no matter what. It was fine if we used our powers until we burned ourselves. We just needed to bring down the walls, and the rest would pick up the fight for us while we went to find Dante.

"They're launching an attack!" someone yelled in the distance, and the pixies turned their attention up to the sky, and so did I.

There were several helicopters flying behind the base. I didn't see them clearly in the darkness, but I knew they were heavily armed and pointing their missiles at us.

"Take care of them!"

The pixies turned their catapults at them, but it wasn't enough. The choppers weren't coming any closer – and they didn't need to. I was sure they were able to bomb us even if they were miles away, while our cannons and catapults couldn't reach anywhere near them.