49. Desperate Determination

-Chase-

-Chase-

"Dante!"

I was too far away to do anything. I was standing on the rooftop where I'd climbed to get rid of the sharpshooters, and I could only watch as that bastard aimed his shotgun at my love and shot him. I didn't think anything of it. Dante had been shot so many times, but nothing could penetrate his fur and skin. I thought he was just fine. I believed he was just fine.

But then he growled in pain... and fell.

"Dante!!"

My heart froze at the sight of him falling on the ground, his limbs twitching like he was dying. It was the longest second in my entire life as I was forced to watch that son of a bitch shooting at him again, and I wasn't anywhere near them.

If Aaliyah hadn't been there with me, I would've died, shot by the enemy we were surrounded by. I was unable to look away from Dante, who was growing stiff. And silent. The fear I felt was too overwhelming, and I was unable to even move.

"Take him!"

I lifted my gaze up and saw Killian ordering his men to go get Dante. To take him away from me.

"Chase..." I heard Roe's warning voice inside my head, but all I could acknowledge was that bastard. "You'll kill us all."

I barely heard his voice over the sound of his magic surrounding me. I knew I wasn't able to control it all, but I didn't care. I was so angry.

So goddamn angry.

What I did blinded me and everyone else in the base. I didn't even need to aim because of the size of the blast I called down upon them. What I did to that troll back when we tried to get Ben's house back was nothing compared to the amount of energy I was using now.

I really would've killed us all if Roe hadn't controlled me. I could feel him right beside me. That was all I could feel. The blast turned me blind and deaf, and my entire body had gone completely numb. All there was left was Roe's consciousness inside me.

"Dante's not dead, you know..."

"I don't care! That bastard shot him!"

"You really need some anger management lessons," Roe sighed. "We've talked about this already. You shouldn't use my power so recklessly. Your body can't handle it."

"Where is Dante?! Can you see him? I can't see anything!"

He sighed again. "You zapped yourself unconscious. But I do like what you've done with the place. There's something eerily beautiful in massive craters..."

"ROE!" my anger was already leaking over. "Where the fuck is Dante?!"

"Fine, see for yourself..."