Ch 20

I go against my own judgement and call my mom instead of V, seeing as it was so late now.

"Honey, how are you? How was graduation?" she enthuses down the phone.

"I know I'm not to call randomly, especially when it's so late here."

She pauses.

"What's wrong?" She's serious now.

"Nothing, I just wanted to hear your voice. I miss you."

She's silent for a moment.

"What is it? Please tell me." Her voice is soft and comforting, and I know she cares. Uninvited, my tears begin to flow.

"Please, Zoe," she says, her anguish reflects mine.

"It's a guy."

"What's he done to you?" She sounds alarmed.

"It's not like that." I don't want her to worry. Even if it was a lie. I just want someone else to be strong for me right now.

"You're worrying me."

"I kind of fallen for this guy, and he is so different from me, and I just don't know if we should be together."

"Men are tricky. I wish I had been able to come out for your graduation. Men are a different species. How long have you known him?"

Jumin is definitely a different species.

"Like three weeks."

"That's no time at all to know a person, Zoe. Just take it easy and keep him at arm's length until you decide whether he is worth it or not."

My mom was always insightful, and usually was right in most situations. She was too late on this one though. Is he worthy of me? I always wonder if I'm worthy of him.

"You sound so unhappy. Come home, visit. I miss you. You can get some distance, you need a break. You have been working so hard."

That's tempting, run away to the United States.

"I have two job interviews next week."

"That's wonderful news!"

The door opens and Hy appears, grinning at me. Her face falls when she sees I've been crying.

"Mom, I gotta go. I'll think about visiting. Thank you."

"Please, don't let that man get under your skin. You're still young. Go and enjoy yourself."

"Yes, mom. I love you."

"I love you too, so much. Stay safe." She hangs up and I face Hy, who glares at me.

"Had that obscenely rich fucker upset you again?"

"Sort of, yes."

"Just tell him to take a hike, Mc. I've never seen you act this way, since you've met him you've changed. If he is just a jerk with commitment issues, dump him. I don't understand his issues, he couldn't keep his eyes off of you earlier. I'd say he's smitten, but maybe he has a weird way of expressing that."

Smitten? Jumin?

"It's complicated. How was your evening?"

I can't talk any of this through with her without telling her too many details. That one question sent Hy off. It's comforting to listen to her normal chatter. She tells me how her brother might come live with us after their vacation. I frown. I don't think Jumin would approve. Well, tough. He will have to suck it up. I have a couple of teacups of wine with Hy and call it a night. Hy hugs me, and grabs her phone to call Yoosung.