Ch 18

"You're agreeing?" His disbelief is showing.

"Subject to soft limits, yes. I will try." My voice is small

Jumin closes his eyes and pulls me into an embrace.

"Jesus, you're so unpredictable. You take my breath away."

He steps back as V returns. What have I done? My subconscious is screaming at me.

"Are you going to be joining us, Jumin?" V asks Jumin.

I stare up at him, hoping he would refuse. I need space to think about what I just did.

"Thank you, V but I have a prior commitment I must attend. It was great seeing you again, I look forward to seeing you again in the future."

"Likewise," V nods.

"Look after my baby girl," Jumin says.

I flush as my mind is drawn back to when V had called me that earlier in the day. Did Jumin somehow know?

V's emotion is unreadable as he gives a hesitant nod, "I fully intend to."

They say their goodbye's. I feel sick. Jumin takes my hand and brings it to his lips and kisses my knuckles, his eyes scorching with intent.

"Later, Ms. Niven," he breathes.

My belly curls at the thought. Later?

V takes my elbow and we go off to find the others.

"You could do a lot worse. Though why did I have to hear about you two from Yoosung?" he scolds.

I give a shrug, unable to come up with words.

"Well, I trust Jumin. He might not know what he is doing, but he is okay."

V is approving Jumin and I, if only he knew.

-

V drops me back home at dusk.

"I'll call you later," he says.

"Thank you for coming."

"Wouldn't have missed it for the world," he grins.

A huge lump forms in my throat, and I hug him, hard. He puts his arms around me, bemused, but I can't help it.

"Hey, Mc, sweetheart," V says softly. "Long hard day, uh, do you want me to stay until Hy gets back?"

I laugh, in spite of my tears. V didn't seem like he knew how to comfort either. His solution seemed to be to wait it out until the solution came on it's own, and this situation he thought of Hy.

"No, V, I'm good. It was great seeing you. I'll visit you once I am settled in Seoul."

"Good luck with your interviews. Let me know how they go."

"I will."

"Stay safe, Mc."

"You too, V."

He smiles, his mint eyes warm, glowing, and he climbs back into his car. I wave him off as he drives into the dusk, and I wander up to the house.

First thing I do is check my phone. It was dead, of course. Once my phone comes back to life, I see the reality of his angst. Five missed calls from and one voicemail. One missed call from an unknown number, with a voice mail.

The voicemail was congratulating me on graduating, the voice sounded familiar but I couldn't pinpoint who it was. I shrugged it off, it had to be someone who knew me.