Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Hailey P.O.V

"Happy Birthday Hailey dear!" One of my aunts said, as she walked into the house.

"Thank you!" I replied back, my face beaming.

She entered and gave me a big hug. "You look beautiful" she gushed, "It's been so long. Look how much you've grown" She complimented, observing me.

"Time flies..." I grinned. "You look great as usual"

"Oh, don't mention. I've been slacking on my gym nowadays. But let's keep that between us" she winked.

I laughed and nodded before showing her to the living room where the rest of my family members were.

So far, almost everyone was already here. All my uncles, aunties, grandparents, cousins.

Except him.

Where are you? I tried mind-linking but got no response.

I sighed. He should be here anytime soon anyway. I pushed my thoughts aside & joined in with all my family members.

I mingled around, talking with everybody until one of my uncle's asked if we should cut the cake already.

"I think it's fine... Where's the cake?" Dad replied, looking around for mom.

I looked around. She was nowhere to be seen. She must still be in the kitchen.

"I'll get her" I volunteerd, walking off before dad could protest.

I headed to the kitchen, cutting through my family members but stopped just before the entrance of the kitchen when I heard suspicious hushed voices.

"What do you think are you doing!? You're plunging us all in eternal death! You know they will find us! God, I swear I smelled her scent a mile away from here!"

Was that... my grandmother?

"I know I know! It's really strong. I've mentioned it to Gavin but he'd brush away the topic. He said he didn't want to move house since he was comfortable here. He said he'd think of something to cover up her scent" my mom replied sounded stressed.

"Did he!?"

"...no"

"Mom! Grandma! Uh... dad called. He said we can start cutting my birthday cake already" I interrupted them.

I think I've found enough details to know that I don't actually belong here.

Did I even have a scent? How come I don't even realise all of this?

Please hurry...

"We'll be there in a mintute dear. Your mother and I have something to discuss on" grandma replied.

Mom didn't look like she wanted to continue the converstaion any longer but she didn't dare object. Yeah, she's a goody-two-shoes that mother of mine; up till now. I didn't know if I should salute her or laugh out loud.

"Please... everyone's already waiting" I whined, putting my arms around her.

She sighed, putting her arms around me as well before she fiddled with my necklace. "What's this?" she asked, holding it.

"Esmeralda gave it to me, she said it's an early birthday present" I shrugged.

She glanced at mom. "Hmm.. I think we're fine. Let's go out. The others are waiting"

Mom breathed a sigh of relief "We'll catch up with you. Hailey and I have something to discuss on,"

I quirked an eyebrow at this. We have?