Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Leila's P.O.V

The dungeon reeked of blood. Don't they ever clean this place up after torturing people?

No. Aaron's amused voice replied.

Disgusting. I replied, making a face even though I knew he couldn't see it.

Aaron wasn't here with me. Dad had told him to stay upstairs which made him pretty upset. But he made me promise to allow him to read my every thought so he'd know when I needed help and come to the rescue.

"If you ever feel uncomfortable during any part of  this you can always go back upstairs" dad reminded me again for the hundredth time.

"I'll be fine, don't worry"

He gave me an unsure look.

"Don't worry" I said again, giving him a small smile, to make it seem more believable.

Truthfully, I was a nervous wreck. I've never been here and the eerie atmosphere and constant screaming from other prisoners made me want to crawl under a bed and hide there forever. But I had to be strong and face my so-called parents. That's the least I deserved.

"We're here" the guard who was with us announced.

I looked into the cell infront of me to see Gavin and Janet bound to chains with dried blood on their faces. They looked worn out.

I almost felt sorry for them. But the menacing looks on their faces once they saw us made me think otherwise.

Think with your head, not with your heart. I repeated Aaron's words in my mind.

Gavin's eyes glowed with anger "You'll regret this," he said. "We will get her back"

You can't even get yourself out of this prison cell dude.

"Never." I replied, glaring at him.

"You don't have a choice honey." Janet replied, smiling sickly at me "you're bound to us now"

"Yes, I can feel it. Your powers... it's flowing through us. Once it's completed, you'll be gone" Gavin said, laughing loudly.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What did that mean?

"What do you mean?!" Dad asked, grabbing Gavin by his hair.

"You don't understand..." Gavin responded through fits of laughter. "We've binded her to us, which means her powers flow through our body too. We are eternally connected. We die, she dies"

My eyes widened. "How is that possible?"

"Oh honey, we had to innovate. We knew you would wonder why we kept using your powers so we had to be careful. And the more you use it, the stronger your scent will be. By draining your power away, we could use it anytime we want, without you"

"How did you take my power from me?"

"When you're sleeping dearie"

That was impossible. How could I have not woken up from this?

Janet answered my thoughts. "With sleeping gas of course. We couldn't have you waking up in the middle of the precedure could we"

I gritted my teeth to stop myself from screaming at both their faces.

"What would you do with my powers?"

"Sell them" Janet shrugged like it was the most obvious answer in the world.

"How many people would die to have your powers Hailey. Even Esmeralda." Janet grinned, looking behind me. "Hello honey,"

"Hey there"