forty-nine

Ashton and I haven't talked in days. I've spent a lot of time with Kyle and Nina. Kyle and I have been going to the library to study a lot. Finals are coming up, so we were getting the studying started.

"Kels?"

"Yeah?" I question, quickly looking up at him.

"You okay?" He lightly chuckles, seeing me in distress.

"Yeah. Just, I really have a lot to catch up on. I can't fail these. I have to pass so I can just fucking graduate already."

He lightly chuckles, "I get it."

"No, I missed classes for Seattle and, when I miscarried..."

"Kels, you've been through a lot and you've never failed a class before. I believe in you, you got this." He smiles, reaching over and gently squeezing my hand.

"Thanks, I love you. I'm glad you're here for me."

"Of course. I don't have problems with anybody. I know you're going through it and Ashton is trying to help with some tough love, but that's not really my thing. It might have to be, at some point, though."

"I know he's just trying to help. I know why he's upset about me telling Michael what happened. I get it. I just wish we were talking."

"Right, I forgot the Michael part."

"I didn't want to fuck up his relationship with Michael. I really didn't. I needed Michael to understand that I don't hate him, I need him to get that my bad moods aren't because of him."

"Kels, you know you should be telling Michael this, right?"

"You know what? I will."

I pull out my phone, quickly beginning to text Michael. 

'Hey, I know I'm probably the last person you'd want to talk to right now....'

'But, maybe I could come by your place for a bit? I really have to talk to you'

Sighing, I put my phone down next to my schoolwork, continuing to study. But moments later Michael texts me back, and I immediately pick up my phone.

'Come by whenever. I don't have any plans today.'

"I have to go."

"Wait, what?"

"He said to come by whenever. I'm going now." I tell him, closing my textbooks.

"Oh, uh, okay. I'll see you at home?" He calls as I rush off.

-

Knocking on Michael's door, all I can feel is anxiety. It felt like I was going to pass out. I just wanted to get this over with. I just want to talk to him about Ashton. I need them to be okay.

The door swings open, revealing Michael. He looked tired, and like he didn't want to see me.

I take a deep breath, "Hi."

"Hey. Come in." He replies, giving me a weak half smile.

"Can I just get right to the point?" I ask, following him to the couch.

We both sit, and he looks over at me, nodding, "I guess so, yeah."

"Listen, I know you're upset with both Ashton and I. Please don't take it out on Ashton. He doesn't deserve it." I tell him, needing to get everything off my chest.

"Oh."

"I really don't want to be the reason you two aren't friends anymore."

"It's him too. It wasn't just you."