thirty-five

"Kelsey!" Ashton calls, the second I come back from class.

"Yeah?" I question, approaching him laying on the couch.

"Can you come cuddle?" He asks, holding his arms out.

I sigh, "I have homework to get done..."

He pouts, looking up at me waiting for me to give in.

Shaking my head, I chuckle, "I'm going upstairs to do my homework. You can come to my room if you want, but I'll be working."

"Wait! None of us will be here tonight. It's Kyle's birthday tomorrow, remember? So we're all going out tonight? You can do your homework then since you said you don't wanna go to a club sober." Ashton says, before holding his arms out again.

"I'm doing my homework now." I reply, not wanting to talk about them going to a club. I'd love to go, but I know I'll drink. I can't do that, so I'm going to stay home.

Making my way upstairs, I huff as I pull out my homework. I really don't want to do my homework, but I really have to get it done.

Once I finally get my work started, a few minutes later, Ashton wanders into my room.

I turn to look at him curling up in my bed, "Ash, you good?"

He nods in response, "I think you should come out with us tonight."

Sighing, I get up and go sit on my bed, "I can't. I can't go to a club after relapsing just last week. It's a really bad idea for me to go."

"Okay. I get it. I'm sorry. I just don't want you sitting home alone all night."

"I'll be fine, Ashton. I have a lot of work to catch up on."

"Well, now that you're over here, can you cuddle with me for like, ten minutes?" Ashton asks. He doesn't wait for me to answer him, he just immediately pulls me to him.

"I guess so." I mutter, curling up in bed with him.

I was going to only stay for ten minutes, but I ended up falling asleep.

-

"Kelsey, we're home!" Kyle shouts as he stumbles into the house with Nina and Ashton behind him at three in the morning.

"Shh! She could be sleeping." Nina slurs, before dropping her phone on the floor, creating a loud bang.

"I'm right here guys. I'm awake." I laugh, looking over at them from the couch.

"Kelsey!" Ashton smiles, coming to sit with me on the couch.

"I'm tired. I'm so fucked up." Kyle mutters, walking towards the stairs.

"Hey, Kyle? Happy birthday." I call to him.

"Aw, thank you, Kels." Kyle smiles, before making his way upstairs.

"Did, uh, did Michael show up?" I ask Ashton, once Nina and Kyle have both gone up to their rooms.

Michael was invited to go with them, before the whole breakup happened. He still hasn't really talked to anybody but Ashton, so I wasn't sure if he'd still show.

Ashton shakes his head, "No. He's okay, though."

"It just sucks, you know? He's not talking to me but I get it. We're broken up, why would he wanna talk to me?"

"I- I think he needs time to cool off. Kels, you only broke up a week ago." Ashton stammers, moving closer to me.

"I've been single for a week and I already miss making out with him." I groan, rolling my eyes. I mean, I miss more than just that, I really miss Michael. I just hope we can go back to being friends, at least.