five

Third year starting out was okay. I was feeling alright, I was handling the less occurring withdrawals well now. Going to class got easier; I was able to put more hours in at work again. Things were really starting to look up for me.

A couple months in, I felt as though I was making progress. All those helping me through my addiction and rehab, felt the same. I was still working closely with them, I still had group sessions. But I was doing better.

The four of us were still living together. We would go out, but not to crazy parties though, they were still being careful not to trigger me. They wouldn't even keep alcohol in the house. Though it wasn't alcohol that had done this to me, it was decided that going completely sober was what was best for me and my health.

I was so grateful, to have friends like this. They couldn't be more supportive. They were really all I had, so having their full support meant the entire world to me.

Ashton and I were still always together, and he never brought Luke up. I was so glad, because at that point if he did, I'd probably want to go right back to the drugs. Yeah, it had been a few months since I was sober, but there were still some hard times.

Thankfully Luke never reached out to me during my recovery. I could've just blocked him, but I knew at some point we'd need to talk, or something. We were still married after all.

Once finals were over, Nina, Ashton and Kyle had all went home for the holidays. So, I spent most of my time off with Michael.

I had a great time with him. We had our own Christmas together. We bought each other gifts, set up our own mini tree at my place, made our own dinner and everything else. It was everything I missed about being home.

Luke would always have me spend Christmas with all of his family, and I loved it. So, having what felt like that with Michael, just with less people, was so amazing.

//

"Michael!" I exclaim, laughing at him.

He finishes setting the table, still laughing, "What, I didn't do anything!"

"Okay, whatever." I scoff, chuckling at him.

I sit down at the table as he places the last dish, before sitting down himself.

"Thanks for doing this with me, Michael. I really appreciate it." I smile, genuinely so happy.

He grins, tucking his phone away as he focuses on me, "Anything for one of my best friends."

-

"Michael, oh my god, no. No. I'm not accepting this." I tell him, trying to hand back the box with a matching set of diamond earrings and necklace.

"Yes, you are." Michael replies, keeping his hands behind his back so I can't hand it back to him.

"It's too much. All I gave you was some clothes and a new plant for your place."

Michael chuckles, "I love it all, Kels. Thank you. I really do. Now, I want you to keep this."

"No, it's not okay. Oh my god, Michael. I'm embarrassed now!"

"Kelsey, stop! That's not why I did this! You deserve it, okay? Please just accept it. Nothing would make me happier than you wearing these, okay?" He tells me, a sigh escaping my lips as I look down at the present in my hands.

"It's just..."

"What you want? Yeah, I know. That's why I got it for you. You deserve this Kelsey. I'm begging, please, just put them on."