sixteen

"Kiana! I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to call!" I tell her, the second she answers my call.

She laughs, "Kels, it's okay!"

"I just- I got the box about a week ago and I should've called right away it's just- Ashton and I fought and it just slipped my mind I feel so bad-"

Kiana giggles, "I get it! It's okay."

I really didn't mean to forget about Kiana. After that fight with Ashton I had the box tucked away on my shelf. It wasn't the first thing on my mind between school and trying to figure out why Ashton and I have just acted like we never fought.

"Well, I'd love to be a bridesmaid, if you'll still have me after I took so long to answer you."

"Obviously! I would love for you to be a bridesmaid. Kels, I really want you to be part of all of this." She tells me.

"I will be. I'm so excited, Kiana."

"Well, I know you won't be able to make it to the engagement party my maid of honour is throwing. But, I hope you'll come for the bridal shower or something."

"Of course. I'll try to be there for everything I can." I reply.

All I wanted was to be there for Kiana during the whole wedding thing. I wish I was there for the dress shopping and the planning and the parties. But I can't be. It sucks.

"The bridal shower will be in a couple months. I'll keep you updated with everything."

"Thanks, Kiana. I'm glad even though I'm not there I can still be included."

"Obviously! I'm so excited." She exclaims.

We don't talk much longer, just some small talk before we end our phone call.

Making my way downstairs to the kitchen, I run into Kyle.

"Kels! Hey. Do you know where all the chips went?" He asks, opening every cupboard to try and find them.

I chuckle, "I'm pretty sure you ate all of them when you and Ashton smoked last night."

He gasps, as if he's had a revelation, "Ashton's room!" Kyle runs off and upstairs, to Ashton's room, I assume.

Laughing at Kyle, who's definitely high once again, I browse the kitchen for something to eat.

"When was the last time somebody went grocery shopping?" I call out, hoping somebody in the house hears me and will answer.

"I went like, two weeks ago." Kyle mutters, crunching on chips.

"Where did you come from!" I jump, completely startled, turning around to face him.

"Ashton's room." He replies with a wide smile and he continues to stuff his face with chips.

"How much did you smoke?" I ask, stepping closer to him.

"A fucking lot." He chuckles, finishing the bag of chips in his hands before moving onto the other bag he brought down from Ashton's room.

"Anyways, has nobody gone since then?"

He shrugs, "I don't think so."

"Wanna come shopping with me?"

"Can we get more chips?" He asks, quickly looking up from the bag in his hand.

"As long as you can act like a civilized human." I laugh, taking the chips from his hand and leaving them on the counter.

"Okay. Let's go. You drive." He says, rushing to the door and grabbing his keys of the small table. Kyle tosses them at me, trying his best to get them to me but they land on the floor nowhere near me.

Sighing, I walk over to the keys and pick them up, "I guess we're going."

-

"I don't know why I thought bringing somebody as high as you grocery shopping was a good idea." I mutter, pulling unnecessary items out of the cart.

I follow him down the aisle full of snacks that apparently, he's craving. Kyle keeps tossing different boxes and bags of snacks into the cart and I just remove them immediately as we continue to walk down the aisle.

"Kelsey! I want that!" He whines, rolling his eyes as he finally turns to see me putting back a box of Fruit Gushers.

"As much as I'd love to relive being eight, I'm not buying those. We don't need them." I quietly laugh, as he rolls his eyes again before beginning to walk down the aisle again.

Kyle tries to sneak a couple other things into the cart as we continue through the store, though I just remove them right away.

"Kyle, enough. It's time to go." I chuckle, as he leads us to the cash.

It didn't take us long to pay, before we're outside and filling the car with our grocery bags.

"Is Michael coming over tonight?" Kyle asks, putting the last bag in the car.

"Yeah, after my class maybe." I tell him, grabbing the keys and getting into the car.

The two of us get in the car and we sit in silence for a while before Kyle speaks up, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Uh, yeah? What's up." I lightly chuckle, keeping my eyes focused on the road though I can feel Kyle staring at me.

"Why are you going back to Seattle?" He asks.

"What?"

"I heard you and Ashton."

"Kyle! You can't eavesdrop!" I scold.

"You were yelling!" He replies, raising his voice when he says yelling. "You guys are always off talking on your own and that's fine. But last night it sounded like you've been fighting about this for a bit. So, like, why are you going back when you said you wouldn't?"

I sigh, "Last week Ashton and I fought about it. Last night he brought it up again. I'm going back to Seattle for a wedding. I haven't told Michael yet."

"Why haven't you told him?"

"He knows I don't wanna go back. I don't know. He'll have questions I'm not ready to answer." I tell him, starting to panic over his questions.

"Oh. Yeah. Well-"

"I just... I don't really want to talk about this." I interrupt,

Kyle nods, "Okay. I just want you to know Nina and I are here for you too if you need to talk."

Quickly looking over at him I give him a small smile, not wanting tocontinue this conversation. All I wanted was to not think about it, just for a bit.

_______________________

this is kinda short, sorry y'all. i'll update again in a couple days.