III - Homesick

Ten years later

Merko, who was thriving with his security company, now lived with Lorena and Sophia in Bel Air, a suburb of Los Angeles. Nicholas and Zara also moved to this neighborhood to be close to their family. The doctor was now a graduated doctor and worked at a clinic she set up in the city center. Nicholas started working at the California Physical Research Center.

Merko had prospered with his security company, which allowed them to live in comfort. Helen, Nicholas and Zara's daughter, stood out in school; studied the various subjects and learned easily.

Zara, in addition to working at her clinic, also began teaching Genetics Medicine and working on research projects at the same University where Nicholas worked. However, what she really liked was genetic research, and even if she participated in any project, she could not go forward with the innovations beyond the time she now lived. Her knowledge surpassed the boundaries of this time, but she shouldn't change the chronology of scientific discoveries. Therefore, she developed research projects compatible with the level of development of the time she was living. She could not let all her knowledge hatch in her work, for her not to create a temporal paradox of unthinkable proportions.

Sophia, now 18 years old, attended the University of Environmental Engineering. She had passed her exams and was determined to pursue her profession.

Zara always guided her in her promising career, teaching her the importance of preserving ecosystems for the future of humanity.

In that day, the couple arranged things to receive Nicholas and Zara, after inviting them to a typical American barbecue on a weekend. The doorbell rang and Lorena asked Sophia, who was reading at the porch, to answer.

"Daughter, stop studying a little and answer the bell. Today is Sunday and I think you can enjoy the barbecue with us."

"All right, mom. I really need to rest my head."

The girl walked to the door and opened it. Nicholas and Zara greeted her before entering.

"You look beautiful, Helen! Come here and give me a hug." Sophia bent down and said, opening her arms to the little girl who was hiding behind her parents.

"Of course, Auntie." Helen ran to her aunt, smiling, and plunged into her arms.

Soon after, the girl ran through the house and jumped into her grandmother's arms. Then it was Merko's turn, who was starting to set the barbecue on fire, and opened his arms to receive the girl's caresses. He and the little one had a great affinity, and something inside him said that, soon, they would have to tell the whole truth to the little one.

Everyone greeted each other and began to talk. It was a moment when the family would join in for fun. Merko and Lorena were on the porch eating hamburgers and sausages, while their granddaughter was drinking juice, playing with Sophia.

Nicholas looked for Zara and saw that she had sat in a chair, pensive, in the living room.

"Hi, darling. You are there in the corner, quiet... Are you thinking of new genetic experiments?" He asked jokingly.

"I'm just missing my family... Although I talk to them on the communicators, I haven't seen them for many years. I can't even remember how they are..." She said, a little sad.

"I think I'm guilty for that. I asked you to give up living on your planet to stay here with me."

"Of course, it's not your fault! Life sometimes changes paths and forces us to make choices that separate us from those we love."

Nicholas was thoughtful for a moment. Suddenly, his face lit up and, smiling, he told Zara what was going on in his head.

"I know what to do! I had an idea." Zara stared at him, not understanding what was happening. "Let's go back to Merko's ship and make eye contact with your family on the planet Life."