Prologue

Helen's Birth

Nicholas was in his bedroom sleeping, dreaming of space adventures, when Zara screamed, waking him up. She gave such a strong nudge that he, scared, almost fell out of bed. He stood up in a bustle, still not sure if he were living a dream or reality, thinking they were being attacked. But something much more frightening awaited him when Zara drew his attention, saying,

"Nick, my water broke... It's time!"

"What? Is it finally happening?" He thought.

Nicholas came out like a madman, hitting the door handle, scratching his arm and trampling everything in his way. But who said he had time to feel pain? He quickly changed his clothes while Zara slowly dressed up. He grabbed the bag, that was ready for that moment, full of pink clothes, and took his wife to the car.

They got into the vehicle and the young man sat behind the wheel. For a moment, Nicholas froze, trying to get ideas into place. Zara stared at him in astonishment. His head was a mess. She was sure that Nick did not know what to do.

"So, what do I do now?" He started to repeat, desperate.

"Easy, Nick! It looks like you're more nervous than me. Breathe with me, let's go slowly!" She began to breathe calmly, and Nicholas followed.

It even looked like it was the boy who was going to give birth.

"Now take me to the hospital," Zara said, trying to calm him down.

As if he finally understood what was happening, he got out of there. He dodged the other cars, honked, and turned the curves almost at the speed of light. Zara had forgotten even the pain she felt at the onset of contractions, since at that moment her biggest concern was with the way Nicholas was driving.

"Nick! I want to get to the hospital alive."

"I got it! I promise I'll slow down."

At last, they got to the maternity ward and she could breathe in relief.

At the entrance, Zara was placed in a chair and taken to the delivery room. Nicholas stood outside, waiting. It was Star Boy, not Cold-blooded boy. He knew if he went in with her, he'd faint sometime. But he was not alone for long. Lorena, Merko, and Sophia arrived soon after.

Everyone waited, gnawing their nails, when a few hours later the doctor appeared in the hall. As soon as Niccols saw him, he almost jumped on his neck.

"Are you the father of the child?"

He nodded, stunned, waiting for what would come next.

"Congratulations, your daughter has just been born, with seven pounds of great health!

There was no room to contain Nicholas' smile and he jumped on his mother, giving her a tight hug.

"Mom, I'm a father...! Can you see how cool this sounds?!"

"Congratulations, my son! I got a granddaughter."

Merko approached him and hugged him, as did Sophia, who approached with a cheerful smile, loving the idea of being an aunt.

The doctor invited the boy to enter through the door he held and the young man quickly entered the hallway leading to the surgery room. A nurse opened the door and Nicholas, excited, faced his daughter lying next to her mother.

She was too cute, with a reddish face and full of skin folds. With her little eyes closed, she had a pink bow around her head, which the nurses put on as an ornament. Nicholas kissed Zara's forehead and they both were teary eyed, staring at the baby, the little girl's little hands clutching her father's finger, who, plunging into that moment of happiness, started remembering how they got there. A flashback flashed through the boy's head with the events of months ago when they left the planet Life.

_________________________

Also read #TheBattleOfGods #Heirs of Planet Life 3 by #ChaieneSantosWriter