VI - Danger in the Future

The silence of the cells was broken by Mirov's voice, full of bitterness:

"Could your friend Croiff talk to Captain Fizard?"

"I'm not sure, master, since Fizard has been missing for a long time. But Croiff has always been very helpful and efficient. If there is a way to find the captain, my friend will try to do it," replied Radof.

The ex-counselor walked from one side of the room to the other, anxiously, waiting for some news that gave him hope to leave that place.

"Tomorrow will be visiting day, chief. Maybe Croiff will appear."

"I hope so. And that he brings us good news."

"He has always been a good friend, and in this situation, we are, he's the only one who can help us," Radof concluded.

"What was that story he was telling about you helping his family? What did you get out of it?"

"I helped because I realized that they were in need. I don't like to see children starving. The world is unfair, sir."

"I do not waste time with those idiocies of charity." Mirov scowled at the thought of helping someone. "Only power interests me. Therefore, when I am king, I will have everything I need."

"My lord has lost all compassion. Perhaps life has mistreated him and hardened his heart. I hope one day he will recognize that life without friends is empty. I'll try to help him! He's the only person I have left in this life." Radof thought as he listened to his master's comment.

Mirov was blind and could not see the truths of life. The very help he was waiting for was the result of a retribution from a friend to an act of kindness from his servant.

***

Luckily for the two prisoners, Croiff appeared on visiting day. It was the chance to hear news about Captain Fizard.

"How are you, my friend?" Croiff asked Radof.

"We couldn't be worse. Did you get in touch with Captain Fizard?"

"Everything was done as we planned. I think we'll hear from him soon enough. One of the guards was my childhood friend and I asked him to let me bring gifts for you. These are holographic glasses so you can watch movies and listen to music. Our ancestors loved this kind of fun. Imagine spending the rest of your life inside these bars without having access to anything new..."

"It's a good thing someone thinks of us. You will be well rewarded!" Mirov said, entering the conversation.

The courtyard was full of prisoners and their visitors. The conversation between them was not even noticed.

"You'll have a surprise tomorrow! When using the glasses, thoroughly inspect the compartment on the right-side rod of it. I think you'll like what you'll find." Croiff said softly.

Mirov frowned, eager for possibilities.

"You're proving to be more efficient than I expected. It will certainly have a place in my reign," Mirov said after hearing Croiff's remark about the surprise and imagining that it would lead to an opportunity for escape.

"I am doing this for my friendship with Radof, but if you wish to reward me, I shall be very grateful."

Croiff went away thinking of finding a way to meet the captain and once again help his friend.

***

The other day in the morning, at the time of sunbathe, in the courtyard of the prison, Radof met his master and the two talked about the glasses they had won as a friend's gift: