XXII - Real and Imminent Danger

After navigating for a while and passing through the space-time rift, the door opened in Genesis' command bridge. Captain Kirubi began to speak with Mirov, who was sitting in the command chair:

"Sir, why are we traveling across a space-time bridge to a constellation distant from the terrestrial solar system?"

"We could transmute ourselves and live among the Earthlings and no one would recognize us. We would be in peace and Merko would never find us," Radof said, entering the conversation.

The arrogant Mirov looked at them with contempt. He didn't accept being questioned, but he needed their help at that time. He couldn't waste his pawns during that play. So, he took a deep breath to hold back his anger and answered, with his self-centeredness rising:

"Do you believe that, after being the sole and absolute king of a planet, I would want to live hidden on Earth, like a mere insect to be captured or trampled on?" He started laughing at the thought of that simple hypothesis. "I, Mirov, wasn't born to surrender, but to step on my enemies' heads."

"But, sir, what do you intend to do?" Kirubi asked, raising his eyebrows suspiciously.

"Calm down, captain, and follow the coordinates I determined. In a few hours we will reach the hunter Orion constellation in the Milky Way. When we're there, I'll let you know what my plan is."

The captain looked at Radof, doubtful. They both didn't understand what their commander's real objectives were, but they suspected that something bad was being architect by Mirov's Machiavellian mind.

"Is the king mad?" They thought. But what good would it be to draw that conclusion now, since there wasn't any way to give up anymore?

***

While everyone was resting and celebrating the return of peace, Drako was at the base, researching the latest travel coordinates of Genesis ship. As soon as he could, Merko went after him:

"Any news about Mirov?" He asked as he entered the room.

"Sir, the information systems of all the ships on the planet are connected to the large central computer, located in the computing building. I'm trying to access the ship's destination coordinates, but this's going to take a while. What I could see, so far, was those minutes before they fled, the counselor's servant, Radof, accessed the entrance to the genetics laboratory of the scientific building. I think it's interesting to see the records of what he went there to get."

"Thanks, Drako. Your information is always very useful. Keep looking and let me know about all the news you have on Mirov," Merko said apprehensively. "I'll go to the scientific building personally."

"Yes sir. We'll be in touch."

On his way out, Merko called on Nicholas and Zara to accompany him. Her mainly, because she was a specialist in Genetics, and they went to the laboratory to check what Radof had been doing there before escaping. While they went, Drako sent them the recordings that the holographic cameras had captured. The doctor was able to compare, as soon as they arrived, the last records, and could see what Radof had removed: genetic materials resulting from scientific research. She was terrified at the hypothesis that it could be used for obscure purposes.

"What is this thing he came here for, Zara?" Nicholas asked.

"From the places he accessed, I can say that they are in part material that enables the cloning of planet Life's inhabitants and, also, giant reptiles or dinosaurs, which manipulation has been banned. The animals that survived the genetic experiments before they were abolished were sent to the Mutant Forest and there they live to this day, far from society."