XXVI - The Thirst for Power

The doors of the ship opened and Mirov left, along with Kirubi, who was wearing a full combat armor. The crew members left after them, also wearing military uniforms to react if the humans attacked them. But on the contrary, the Sumerians received them as gods and immediately knelt before them.

"This planet will be mine forever. Now I'm more than a king. I feel like a God," Mirov thought, when he saw humanity at his feet.

He felt divine, seeing all those people prostrating themselves and reverencing him, as if he could command them through all his life. That mission was exceeding his expectations. Any failure that had occurred during the plan had until now lost its importance. He had won.

Mirov went down to the land, holding the staff, which was a powerful laser spear camouflaged, and looked everywhere. He scratched his scar for a few seconds and then let his vision wander across the horizon. He walked among the people who opened a path for him to pass by, parading his divine glory.

Kirubi and the military watched, analyzing if there was any hostility on the part of the Terrans surrounding them. If anything happened, they were ready to react, hands in their holsters. The ship Genesis' weapons remained prepared for a confrontation, which would be unequal if it happened. Mirov could feel the fear on the faces of the first human beings that approached, with curiosity and adoration. He saw that there was no danger and asked them to lower their weapons.

The Terrans, in their meager knowledge, stared impressed at everything they used: battle costumes, the ship's lights, the size of the space cruiser, and the fact that they resembled the gods they imagined in their engravings and statues. Only Mirov, with his dark appearance, drove them away. But he didn't care, he just savored the scent of fear that the humans exhaled. That was until the three attack robots appeared through the ship's doors.

The machines' walk made a deafening noise, and their menacing eyes flashed red, showing all the firepower they possessed. The people began to retreat, the panic giving traces of being instated.

"It'll be easy to subdue this people, master. They are already revering us in a sign of respect and subordination. What we command them, they will certainly do," said Radof.

"Much easier than I thought," Mirov added. "It wasn't even necessary to show the robots. Now that they have seen them, these human beings will be even more obedient. Commander Kirubi, I'm going to my quarters to prepare a speech. I want you to use the master computer to recognize their language and translate my words to these humans."

As commanded, the commander activated the computer's automatic translation function, and those human beings of the past, though they spoke a dialect unknown to the tyrant Mirov, could now understand him perfectly.

"Human beings of the planet Earth, we came in peace. I am Mirov, your God! Obey me and you will be rewarded. I can protect you from any enemy, if you do as I command. Revere me and feel all my power."

He raised his face, staring at them all, and took his staff. He lifted it toward the sky. Then he threw a bolt of lightning that dissipated into the clouds. Suddenly, a groan of astonishment was heard and everyone leaned down even more to the ground, in a sign of respect.

"I feel very good," Mirov thought.

Then he continued to speak to the people:

"I can help you organize and gain power by teaching the value of work to the development of a nation. You will learn writing to communicate better. I will teach you the technologies and knowledge to thrive under my command. Do what I command and I will be benevolent, but do not arouse my anger lest you be annihilated from the face of the Earth."