XV - Merko's Return

The two men, father, and son, went to the door of the house and soon found Zara and Helen on the porch. The scientist was sitting with a relaxed posture, but was awake waiting for news, with a cup of hot tea in her hands. Little Helen had fallen asleep on her mother's lap. When Nicholas saw her, he said:

"Honey, I'm sorry for the fuss, but we need to talk..."

"I was getting nervous; you guys are late... Was there a problem?"

Nicholas looked at Zara's eyes and nodded, then kissed her. Merko greeted his daughter-in-law and, with a worried face, sat down. He looked up at the sky staring at the stars, imagining that he would soon have to enter the vastness of space once again. He knew that the mission would be difficult and maybe he wouldn't see his family again if things didn't work out. But he would never be able to see his people in the hands of that madman.

Nicholas took Helen to her room and when he returned, an anxious Zara was waiting for the news, which didn't look good:

"Nick, what happened in this trip to the ship that made you so worried?"

"Zara, King Zador passed away. Counselor Mirov fled and took over the kingdom. He named himself the new king of planet Life."

Zara had to cling to the seat so as not to fall, incredulous.

"But how come?! What about Princess Isadora?"

"She's in prison, as is Counselor Kenan. Merko doesn't want to let it lie."

Zara looked at Merko.

"I'm getting ready to travel to planet Life," he said. "Mirov dominates the royal guard and created an army of lethal robots to control the population."

"And I'm going with Merko," said Nicholas.

"This mission isn't for you, Nick. It seems very dangerous to me! Please stay and take care of our daughter. I'll go with Merko."

"No way! As if I would let you go without me. My mother can look after Helen while we free the Princess. It'll be my second opportunity to save her. Besides, I was trained by Tibor and Merko and I know how to defend myself well."

"We'll ask Sophia to help take care of Helen, too," Merko said, trying to calm Zara.

"Honey, maybe this is a suicide mission. Drako said that robots are powerful war machines, causing everyone to fear Mirov. Why don't you stay with our daughter? I'd feel much better knowing that the two women I love are not in any danger," said Nicholas, as if he could make Zara change her mind.

"Nick, I can help you on this mission. Even though you participated in the rescue of Princess Isadora, I know you need me by your side. Our daughter will be fine! Lorena will take care of her as if she were us. We'll advise her to be careful and not to use her powers, so she doesn't attract the attention of humans."

"It will be a difficult mission, but I feel stronger next to you," said Nicholas.

After saying goodbye to both, Merko went to his house; he climbed up the stairs silently and entered his room. He looked at Lorena, who was sleeping, and thought about how much he loved her. Could he risk losing everything destiny had brought him? He hesitated for a moment, but he knew he couldn't let the tyrant Mirov enslave his people. He would save his planet and return to the arms of his beloved. He didn't intend to lose this battle, but to overcome it, saving the many lives that were at stake.

Lorena suddenly opened her eyes and stared at him. She said in a low voice:

"Merko, is something going on? You look strange, standing there, watching me."