CHAPTER 30

"He still seems to remember -nothing," the doctor informed softly.

All Mr. Rajiv Tripathi managed to do was stare at the doctor, his thoughts all jumbled up at the realization that the accident had most probably taken away something so important from the boy permanently. His memories.

Initially, the doctors had told him Arnav would regain his memories soon, but the 'soon' seemed to prolong for too long. And now, he didn't know what to think of the doctor's words.

He had first seen Arnav a few months back when he had come to India to visit his friend. He had then decided to witness the debate competition his friend was judging, just because it made him remember how his wife had loved those kinds of events. There, on seeing Arnav speak so wisely with a confidence that spoke volumes, he had been pleasantly surprised.

Having lost his wife and four-year-old son to a plane crash, he had lived alone long enough to get used to it. But if there was something that he still treasured having, then it was his business, his companies, that he had put his heart and soul into. After losing his only family, work had been his everything. To think that he did not have an heir to hand it over to had caused him to start worrying. And, that was why his attention was caught on knowing that Arnav was an orphan. He knew, it must've been hard for the boy. Yet, he was doing brilliantly. And that peaked Rajiv's interest, causing him to get his investigator to find any information he could get on the boy's academic and intellectual achievements, without prying much into his personal life.

The file he recieved hadn't let him down. How amazingly would this boy perform, if he was given the right guidance and support, it had him wondering. With that, Rajiv had decided to have a talk with the boy. To sponsor Arnav's future education and expenses, and make him the heir, if he was interested in the business industry.

Rajiv was glad to know that the boy was interested in business, but when he had asked the boy if he would like to be the heir of his companies, the boy had refused calmly. Disappointed, he had given the boy his personal number, in case he ever changes his mind.

At that time, he hadn't once thought that Arnav would call him back months later. However, what had surprised him more was that Arnav had requested to be adopted, at least for namesake. He also wanted it done secretly, and as soon as possible. Even though Rajiv hadn't understood why, he had agreed, sensing that the boy must be going through tough times. Rajiv had, then, immediately gotten the paperwork done secretively.

After having communicated with the boy for two weeks through calls alone, he had finally landed in India that morning. That morning, when he'd been so excited on getting to see Arnav again, that he had asked the boy to come receive him at the airport. Now, he regretted having asked the boy such a thing. He could've held in his desire to see his, now, son, and none of this would've happened. The accident that, now, had him lifting one more burden on his shoulder wouldn't have occurred at all. The burden of having seen his wife's and son's dead bodies were in itself too heavy to carry. Now, added to that, was the sight of a crushed car, surrounded by shattered glass, blood and the driver fallen dead. He could never forget the still of his heart, the fear that had shut through him at that moment. And the way he had literally backed away, when he had found Arnav in the horrifying state he was in. Miraculously... Alive. And breathing.

After the surgeries, "You can go see him now, Mr. Tripathi," he remembered the doctor informing.

The billionaire had managed to nod that time around, heading north to the boy's room. But when he had walked into the hospital room, he had stumbled to a stop. The sight of the boy causing him to abruptly realize the effect plastic surgery could have on one. With a blank mind and an almost-new face, Arnav had seemed to have been reborn. Laying on the bed, the boy had stared at him flatly, a hint of vulnerability hidden in them.