CHAPTER 2

(Past)

It was a day Arnav could never forget. A day when his life turned upside down. Everything shattered.

No hope.
No light.
No support.
Just an eight year old with the ability to breathe. That's what he was.

He didn't expect anything from anyone. He understood, even better now, that he had to take what he needs himself. There wasn't anyone foolish enough to give him something. To care for him. To love him. Or to love anyone for that matter. Love was just a joke. A delusion. He knew that now. And it was not to be forgotten.

He sat under the banyan tree and looked around. Kids of all age groups were playing, laughing, falling, huffing- spending their time together. An illusion. They formed an illusion of happiness. Hiding the emptiness they were feeling.

They were all orphans. With no parents. No family. No one to call theirs. How could their smiles be real? Arnav reasoned.

They just didn't have the guts to accept how weak they were. How broken they were. How worthless they felt. And how angered it made them. But. He wasn't going to be like them. He wasn't going to smile, grin and laugh meaninglessly like idiots. If he was angry, he was angry. Simple. And at that moment, he was fuming at the whole world.

His eyes furrowed as he stared at the other corner of the playground. Boring into the place, his eyes zeroed in on a girl of about his age sitting there. With her knees to her chest and her arms around it. With her chin on her knees and her eyes on the smiling children, she pouted. She was yearning for it. Yearning to play. Yet, she sat there, unmoving. Silent.

His feet voluntarily walked to her. If she wanted to play, she should play. If she was waiting to be invited, she was only kidding herself, he thought.

"Oi," he poked her head with his forefinger. "Why don't you go play?"

She looked up at him, wondering who he was. But answered him anyway, her voice low and innocent, "I don't know that game. So they don't include me." She frowned.

"You've been here for long, haven't you? Can't you learn by seeing them?"

No one had ever been so rude to her. Not that many had ever spoken to her, but she had thought at least someone was concerned about her. Knowing now that she was wrong, she couldn't act brave and embrace the loneliness anymore. His annoyed voice brought tears to her eyes.

"...I- I'm not that smart," she sniffed.

"Oi! Stop crying," he ordered. "So annoying. As if those tears will solve your problems." He rubbed the back of his neck, watching her trying to hold in her tears. "Tch. There's no other way. I'll teach you how to play."

"Really?" Her eyes twinkled with delight, as she quickly rid her cheeks off the tears, wiping them with the back of her hands.

"Not for free. You'll have to pay me back."

"How? I don't have anything?" She showed him her empty hands.

"Maybe clean my room or something." He shrugged.

"Okay. I can clean," she declared proudly.

"One week. That's just how long I can tolerate you. You better learn all those stupid games by then."

"Okay," she chirped.

***

Arnav opened the door to his room, to see Arpita sweeping the floor.

"Oi!" He screamed, shocking her.

She yelped, "You scared me."

He strode closer to her, anger seeping into his veins. "How many times should I tell you? Servants sweep the floor. You-" he pointed at her, "don't need to."

"I also told you, Arnav. I clean better."

"How cares?!" He yelled on top of his lungs, his arms flying open.

"I do. I'm responsible for cleaning your room. So don't comment," she huffed, resting her hands on her hips.

He stared at her, shocked that she was even talking back to him... Confidently?
He was inwardly amused. She was improving, and it gave him joy. But he didn't express it. "Stop ordering me. You. Are paying Me. back, remember? It's not the other way around," he pointed out.

She pouted. "That's what you're not letting me do. Your room's already so clean."

He couldn't hold in his smile. She really was amusing. "Are you kidding me? It's clean cause you cleaned it, yesterday. Are you obsessed with cleaning or something?"

"...I just want to pay you back."

"Oi, stupid. You cleaned my room. So you already paid me back." Dammit! She just makes him say everything aloud.

"But I got to play with the others, again. So, shouldn't I pay you back, again?"

He rolled his eyes. "Get. Out." He pointed at the door with his stretched hand. "I don't want your foolishness influencing me. And take the broom away. Wash your hands, clean."

She chuckled. "Okay, mom."

"Arpita!" He chided loudly, but she ran, not looking back. The sound of her laughter echoing through the corridors.

It had been three years since that day. And yet, she was apparently, still paying him back. He didn't know what to tell her. What to do with her. All he knew was, he would protect her. He would protect those innocent eyes of hers, from tears. He would protect those small hands of hers, from scars. For she was... someone naive. Someone lonely. But also someone who deserved happiness.

"Bro," Addison barged into his room, jumping onto his bed, like it was his own.

"Get your foot off my bed, you shitface. Your foot's damn dirty." Arnav cringed.

"Woah! Chill, bro." He laughed, obeying. "If there's anyone who can talk my language in here, it's you. And you're even two years younger than me. I love this." He flashed her perfect teeth.

Arnav rolled his eyes. "Why do you keep coming here? Are you that lonely?"

"Hmm... actually, I am... I guess. But that's a secret... Oh my God! I just shared my secret with you. Now, we are best buddies." Addison pounced on him.

He pulled away, disgust showing on his face. "Stay away from me."

"Hahaha. Stop with the denial already. Come on, buddy. Be my friend," he whined. "You're special, really. You speak my language, you know my secret and you have a surname," he counted on his fingers. "Not everyone has one here, you know, Mr. Arnav Arya?"

Arnav clenched his jaw. "That's not MY surname. You get it? I hate that name."

"Chill, dude," Addison raised his hands up in surrender. "I'll never call you Arnav Arya again."

"Aad!"

Addison laughed, and ran out. He could understand the anger Arnav held in him. Whoever it might be, anyone in here would have a ball of rage hiding in their heart. Being alone was never something anyone wanted. Being left alone couldn't ever feel great.

Not being loved for what you are- it crushed one's being. One's reason to hope and move on. But, of course, human were made strong. And that was why, even in a world where anything could happen, people smiled on.

***

Hola!

The CHAPTERs written in Italic text will, from here on, hold the past.

The past and present will stitch the story together. So, read on 😁
By the way, how did you like this one?