Chapter 1

At present.

"Congratulations, Arpita," Leela grinned, clasping her hands excitedly.

Arpita had just settled down in her office when her colleague and friend, Leela, bragged in.

Arpita was confused. "What for?"

"Because you are going to be promoted!" She chirped, waiting to see a bright smile on her friend's face. On only getting a raised eyebrow as a reaction, she frowned. "Didn't you hear me?" She asked, sitting down on the chair across Aprita's.

"Stop counting the chickens before they hatch, Lee."

"Oh, come on, Arpi, you're the three time winner of the best employee award! Who else will the new boss choose for his P.A?" She said matter of factly, her voice confident, as she leaned towards Arpita.

"Maybe someone who doesn't work here right now," she shrugged, getting up and shifting her attention to organizing the old files that were kept neatly on the lowermost rack of the shelf.

Leela rolled her eyes, falling back in her chair. "Look at you. Those files are more organized than anyone could ever imagine. Yet, you can't sit still. It's their loss, if they don't appoint you as the secretary."

Arpita smiled at her words, opening a file that she predicted was of no use anymore.

"But, it's your loss too. For not getting to be near him. Any woman would long to stay by his side. I can assure you, if it's any other woman but you, she would be so busy gaping at him that she'd forget all about work."

"Is he that handsome?" Arpi asked nonchalantly, not looking away from her files.

"Handsome's not the word babe, he's damn. Hot."

Arpita lightly chuckled at her friend, rechecking if the three files she was holding were the only ones that needed to be discarded.

"You don't believe me? Oh, darling, see for yourself. I'm hundred percent sure that you are going to be the secretary. Manager Datta appreciates your capability. He'll surely recommend you for the position."

Arpita, finally, met her gaze. "I don't mind either way. I just need a job and enough salary to fill my stomach and have a roof over my head."

Leela scoffed. "You should dream big, Arpi. Big. If I had your potential, I would be dreaming about starting my own business and bossing over people. Becoming a millionaire. A billionaire even. Like our new boss?"

"Sure. If I were anything like that, my dear, the only thing I would end up doing is dream."

"Hmm? What's wrong with that?" Leela contemplated.

"Oh, goodness. I should have known..." Arpita shook her head, "Nothing's wrong, Lee. Absolutely nothing."

Hearing a soft knock on the door, Arpita kept the files on the side of the desk. "Yes?"

Manager Datta entered. Leela looked at her with a I-told-you-so look, smirking, which Arpita skillfully ignored.

"Yes, Mr. Datta?" She asked, instead.

***

"I don't need a secretary," his deep, strong voice startled her, sending chills through her spine.

He hadn't even bothered to glance at her once. Sitting behind his desk, he was busy going through some documents. He surely is a well-built man, she agreed, looking at him in silence. With broad shoulders, a chiseled jawline, smooth tanned skin, perfect nose and sharp eyebrows, no wonder he had women chasing after him. He got up, still engrossed in his own work. He was tall and tough-looking. His face had a stubborn air. As his back leaned on the side of his desk, she could only see his side profile, but not his eyes. She wondered what color his eyes were. Which emotion they would show. Would they be kind and calm, disrupting his image? Or deep and piercing, fitting in?