CHAPTER 14

Arpita's mouth hung open at the sight of the silver bracelet in the box. She had been admiring the same one from outside the shop for the past one whole week. That costly, shining bracelet was now in her hands. Was this a dream?

"Close your mouth," Arnav scratched the back of his neck, half nervous and half embarrassed.

He didn't really know what to give her for her birthday. He had seen her looking at that bracelet in awe. She was still doing the same. Yet, he wondered if he had chosen the wrong one. For he could imagine her giving him the same reaction for any gift he would've gotten her. Arpita was truly the kind to be impressed with anything her friends would give. And that, to him, seemed like a problem. He could never figure out what she liked more, among all the things he had given her. Did she have no favorites? Oh, yes, she does, he remembered. Her favourite thing was a sweater! He had no idea where that sweater had come from, but she beamed whenever she wore it. It mildly angered him, though her joy was contagious enough to calm him down.

"Thank you," she said, with a voice softer than feather, looking up at him tenderly. Her smile gradually widening, as though his face was the reason for her smile. Her almond-shaped eyes twinkled with mirth. It seemed to him as if her eyes held melted chocolate. So damn Addictive. Unconsciously, he returned the smile.

His rare smile always caught her off guard. It wasn't just a normal smile. It held magic, warmth. It extended to his sharp eyes and lightened them up, causing them to shine like black marbles. His tanned skin started to glow, and his eye-catching dimple came into view. He suddenly seemed younger, all the worries and struggles he carried drifting away; his body relaxing.

She couldn't take her eyes away from him. The warmth of his smile spread to her cheeks. The soothing feeling caused her to feel lighter. She could get used to this sight, she was sure, as her eyes that were locked with his midnight colored ones stayed that way. Both of them, living the moment. Both of them, losing themself. Both of them, knowingly and unknowingly, in love.

Addison entered Arnav's decorated room, which was filled with orange balloons and white fairy lights. He remembered losing his sleep to sneak in all of this into his room. His eyes wandered over the place, so neatly kept, and landed on the cake that was waiting for his arrival to be cut.

Moving his grey eyes away from the vanilla icing that tempted his soul, he looked up at the birthday girl and her one and only. A mischievous smirk appeared on his lips as he loudly dropped the gift he had brought on the table. They didn't still look away. Surprised and amused, he brought a balloon next to them and burst it. Arpita jumped at the suddenness and Arnav turned to him wide-eyed. Addy's smirk widened, seeing the birthday girl blush furiously. Arnav, however, returned to his usual indifferent self again and moved away.

Arpita showed him a victory sign, with her forefinger and middle finger, hiding it from Arnav, conveying to Addison that she had gotten one more point. By now, Addy had given up on winning but he still wanted to play, just because he wanted to see his friend smiling. Thinking about leaving this place in just a year's time ached him. Why did he have to grow up so soon? Why did he have to be two years older than them? Why did he have to leave on turning eighteen? Though he could keep visiting, he frowned at the word itself. Visit. He wanted to Live with them. Not visit them. Then, he smiled, at the thought of getting more time with his girlfriend. Violet. She was as bright as the sun. His sunshine.

He had always admired the love Arpita and Arnav had for each other. It made him dream of a day when he would love and be loved so dearly, by someone special. Though it had been only a month since he had started dating his Vi, he knew she was the one for him. He just knew.

"Come on, guys. Let's cut the cake." He rubbed his hands together.

Arnav smacked the back of his head. "Wish her first. I can't believe you're the elder one here."

"For your information, I already wished her, first thing this morning, when you were busy snoring."

"I don't snore."

Arpita let out a chuckle, which caused them to stop their unreasonable conversation and focus on celebrating her birthday.

"Happy birthday, again, Harps. You're looking gorgeous." Addy grinned.

"Thanks, Addy."

"Oh, and here's your gift... Vi ordered that we should video call her while cutting the cake." He handed her the gift.

"Ya, she told me too. And thanks for the teddy bear."

"No probs." Addy winked.

"A teddy bear?!" Arnav raised his brow at Addy's choice.

"I like it," Arpita affirmed.

Arnav snorted. "You just never grow up."

"Shut up," her cheeks turned crimson.

"Dude, it's her birthday. Can't you be sweeter? Like you were with Deepali." Addy teased, making Arpita frown.

Who the hell is Deepali?
Arnav talked Sweetly?!
Arpati was worried as well as shocked. She tried to imagine Arnav talking sweetly. Nope. That image wasn't her Arnav.

Arnav's expression was fierce, as he glared at Addison. "She was blocking my way, Aad. She wouldn't have left if I hadn't talked her out of it."

Addy laughed. "Aren't your fans increasing these days, Arnav?"

Arnav rolled his eyes. "Like I care."

A simper of glee made its way on Arpita's lips.

She knew Arnav didn't believe in love. That he thought of it as a temporary attraction. She didn't know if time had changed that view of his or not. But she was happy. That, at least, their friendship was still the closest thing he had to a relationship.

Sometimes she wondered if he did love her. There were occasions when she felt that way. But there were also times when that thought would seem wrong, times when he would treat her like a friend and Nothing more. She tried not to dwell on those confusing thoughts. She had the whole life to see what would happen. Her whole life, with him. Who cares if she gets to stay near him only as a friend or as more? If one place would make her the happiest, then the other would be just as delightful as it is now- the place of his close friend.

***
Vote and Comment