Chapter 34 - Animkii (Part 1)

Tap. Tap. Tap.

His father tapped his claw against the tabletop. His hackles were raised as he stared down at the map underhand.

The Ashtar Pack was pushing against their eastern border. The Ashtar border patrol wolves sneered and snapped their jaws at their wolves, egging them on and attempting to stir up conflict.

"That bastard Sergei is plotting something. No doubt he's trying to push his luck," Animkii muttered.

"I can't allow it," his father grumbled. "I have to remind him who's boss of this turf and to mind his own business."

"Yeah, I don't think he's concerned about you, that's why he keeps testing his limits," Animkii said.

The elders and higher-ranking wolves grumbled amongst themselves.

"Push them back," Mik grunted.

All eyes turned to him as he leaned against the wall next to the door, observing the discussion. Usually, he stood outside the conference room to guard it but this time he was inside, his arms crossed over his chest and chewing on a toothpick.

"You remember when I attempted to take over the pack. As foolish as I was back then, I thought I stood a chance," Mik continued. "This Sergei thinks he can toe the line because you are getting along in age and Animkii doesn't have a mate to lead at his side. He needs to be reminded why you are Alpha of this pack and that you have an army of warriors that outstrip the army he has when both packs that he has taken over in the last decade have had their numbers stripped. They might be stronger now than they were, but they don't have the numbers that we have. Our overall strength outmatches them in every measurement."

"That's true," Cameron said at one corner of the table. "While they have been at war within themselves to rebuild themselves, we have only gotten stronger within our pack. Don't forget the visions some of us received at the last Winter Moon Festival."

Murmurs rose up amongst themselves as they shifted their weights and nodded their heads in agreement.

"The Moon Goddess has gifted us a warning. We all saw the clash of spears and the claw marks of battle," another elder of the warriors voiced. "We have used this knowledge to strengthen our warriors in preparation for battle, but we can't stay on the defensive when we can do something offensive to push them back into their own territory. Remind them that we are the stronger pack and we will not turn-tail at this offense."

Animkii and his father nodded their heads in agreement.

"I will relinquish my training a little to impose my dominance at the borders," Animkii said. "Remind them that I am the next in line and I will not tolerate this disrespect and offensive threat."

His father nodded in agreement. "We will take turns and keep our eastern border strong. I will call the Miskwadowe Pack and arrange a meeting to touch base with them. See if they are encountering any issues with the Ashtar Pack "

The Miskwadowe Pack was their northern neighbor and had yet to cause any issues or concerns. A small corner of their territory bordered with the Ashtar Pack. While they may face no threat from the Ashtar Pack, they could serve useful as an ally.

"Animkii," his mother asked, staying quiet but listening intently, "when do you intend to claim a female as your chosen mate?"

All eyes turned to him as he held himself rigidly. He met his parents' gazes before glancing at Cameron and then back at his mother. "Within a few months, at the earliest."

"Very well," she replied. "You will come with us and assure the Miskwadowe Pack at the meeting that you will hopefully take over the pack within a year's time. That might reassure them of our strength and prosperity as a pack. Knowing our family's nature for decades, they should feel more at ease knowing that you're coming into power soon."