Chapter 6 - Animkii (Part 2)

On his way back to the Hall, Animkii could smell Madison in the forest. Her trail was fresh. No doubt she was pissed at him but she was the future Luna—a target to anyone who wished to overthrow him or his parents. Until she was properly trained and could defend herself against threats, he had to find her and make sure she got home safely. Just because he found his mate didn't mean that the riled up males of the pack from the last year or two wouldn't try to take out their competition since neither he nor Madison were ready and his parents were growing older and weaker. She would be an easy target if anyone dared to come after her.

Luckily, her tracks led straight to his parents' house and he heaved a sigh of relief. The only light on inside was in the kitchen around the back, generating a faint glow in the front windows.

Entering the house, he found his parents in the kitchen sharing a cup of herbal tea that promoted sleep. They straightened up in their seats and turned toward him while he glanced around the kitchen in hopes of finding his mate—but she wasn't there.

"If you're looking for Madison, she went upstairs. The shower just turned off, so I assume she's done if you need it," his father said.

"Everything okay?" his mother asked. "She came home in a snort and went straight upstairs without a word to us. I wasn't expecting you guys to be back so soon—nor for her to come home alone."

"I would have come home with her—and we probably would have come later—if Chloe didn't show up at the Hall." He heaved a sigh as he went to the cupboard to fetch himself a glass of water.

"What?" his mother exclaimed.

"What was she doing there?" his father asked at the same time his mate spoke.

Animkii shook his head as he poured water into his glass and drank half of it down. "She said she wanted to see us and hang out but I escorted her home. Madison saw us arguing and got the wrong idea."

"Poor thing," his mother murmured.

Animkii brushed back the loose strands of hair that fell in his face from his braid. "I don't know what to do. Seems like no matter what I do, I hurt both Madison and Chloe."

"I think you know the answer to that," his father said. "But it will take time to sort through your emotions. Take your time. Things will hurt for a while but they will turn themselves around for the better in the end. Just have faith."

Nodding, he thanked them before downing the rest of his water and refilling it to take upstairs with him. He bid them good night and thanked them for the Welcome Ceremony.

Going upstairs, he set his glass of water on his bedside table as Madison emerged from the bathroom, dressed in a long-sleeved pajama set with her hair hanging loose and damp. He caught her eye before she turned to stomp down the hallway to her room.

Chasing after her, he grabbed her wrist to get her to stop.

"Don't touch me!" she hissed under her breath, jerking free of his grasp.

"Don't be like this," he whispered, pleading with his eyes for her to calm down and relax enough for them to talk about it.

"I'll be like this until you break up with her!" Despite her voice being low, it carried such force and aggression, he couldn't stop his hackles from raising, along with his own temper.

"Nothing happened, okay?" He tried to keep his voice calm despite his hands curling into fists at his sides.

"Right, so that hug you gave her lasting for five damn minutes was nothing. Right. Sure." Her voice dripped with sarcasm. "I thought you said you didn't touch her?"