Chapter 49 - Animkii

As amazing as making love and marking Chloe felt, Animkii was disappointed that he didn't witness any of her memories or the fact that she didn't mark him as well. Her mark not healing immediately was also alarming and not normal.

He should have seen this coming. Her mate was still alive out there. They'd never be able to seal the matebond. Never be able to have pups.

He took her virtue from her and claimed her as his when she was never his to begin with. Her inability to claim him was proof of that fact.

They got back to the pickup truck and darkness had enveloped the land. He had thought about showing her all the progress that had been done with the construction earlier, but now it was too late.

He opened the door for her but before she climbed up into the truck, she touched his arm, drawing his eyes down to meet hers.

"You were my first love too," she whispered. "You still are. You'll always be my first choice, not second-best."

Pulling her in for a hug, he kissed her forehead. "I've always prayed that you'd be my mate. I don't know why you weren't and why Madison was given to me if her fate was to die young. But I'm thankful to have you now. I just hope we've done the right thing and you don't regret choosing me later."

She shook her head lightly and looked up to meet his eyes. "I would never regret choosing you. You've been in my heart for as long as I can remember. I don't know how I would cope without you in it."

Her soft words wrapped around his heart like velvet. He bent down and kissed her, savoring her for a minute of tenderness before helping her up into the truck.

He held her hand as they drove back to the mainland down south. When they arrived, he sent a text to her father to let him know that she would be spending the night with him and then turned his phone off. If her parents objected, they'd have to come and tear Chloe away, but he didn't think they would. Cameron knew of Animkii's intentions and most likely had an idea of what Chloe wanted. They would go over tomorrow and discuss anything they wanted to talk about, as well as speak to his own parents about arranging Chloe's Luna Welcoming Ceremony. The pack deserved to know as soon as possible who their next Luna would be.

He parked the truck in the garage and they held hands as they strolled to the dormitory.

He couldn't wait to arrange to have their own cabin until he had finished building their house in the midland.

There was a slight nervousness in her movements as they entered the dorm, but she held her head high. Few would have noticed, but he could tell. He could always tell with her.

Most of the wolves living in the dormitory had gone to their rooms by then but some still lingered in the lounge to the left of the staircase, talking boisterously amongst themselves, oblivious of their arrival.

With her hand still in his, he led her up to the third floor, where his room was with the other single males—a normal room like all the rest. The bathrooms were in the middle of the hallway with one room dedicated to toilets and urinals and another room next to it with shower stalls. There was usually almost always someone in the shower at this time of the night. He peeked into both the rooms and, seeing that both were empty, let Chloe in to do her business while he stood outside. When she was done, he grabbed one of his towels and his toiletries, not caring that they were somewhat masculine in scent. Clean was clean. She could grab her things tomorrow when they went to her house.

A crooked grin tugged on her lips. One he hadn't seen since they were pups and about to get into some mischief. She grabbed a fistful of his shirt and pulled him in, giggling.