Chapter 32 - Chloe (Part 2)

After putting everything from the party away and having dinner with her family, Chloe marched over to the Alpha and Luna's house.

The sun had already set but there was still a purplish glow on the western horizon when she set out. The waning crescent moon hung in the sky as the stars began to emerge in the encroaching darkness. She tromped through the crusty old snow at a quick pace with her hands shoved in the pockets of her jacket and the hood pulled over her head. The temperature had dropped and she could see her breath puffing out before her in little mists in the dim light.

Stepping up to the front door, she pounded her fist on it three times and waited for someone to answer. Luna Aki did after a minute and smiled at her. When had Chloe gotten taller than her?

"Hi, Chloe. Looking for Ann?"

Chloe bowed her head respectfully. "Yes, Luna."

"Come on in. She's up in her room studying for a test she has on Monday. She's been at it for maybe half an hour, so a little break to hang out might be nice."

Chloe nodded and stepped inside, taking her boots and winter clothes off. "I'll try not to be too long—unless she wants a study-buddy or someone to quiz her."

"Don't worry about it, dear."

Chloe couldn't help wrinkling her nose at the new scent she had come to understand as Animkii's. As much as it was pleasing to her senses, it still raised her hackles. He'd been here recently but didn't seem to be present inside at the moment. She didn't see or smell Alpha Noodin either, so he must have been out as well.

She went up the stairs to Anwaatin's bedroom and knocked on the closed door.

"Come in," came Anwaatin's response from inside.

Chloe pushed the door open and stepped inside. Anwaatin greeted her as she closed the door behind her. Crossing her arms over her chest, Chloe narrowed her eyes at her younger friend. "What the heck, Ann?"

Anwaatin looked up at her from her textbook in confusion. "Huh?"

"Did you tell Anim about my vision at the Winter Moon Festival?"

The confusion etched deeper grooves across Anwaatin's face. "No. I don't even remember what your vision was."

"Crocuses and a key."

The blank look Anwaatin gave her made Chloe uncross her arms and heave a sigh. The anger within her dissipated as she realized she was wrong in her assumptions. "Sorry. I thought you told Anim about it and it was some kind of joke."

"Chloe, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about."

Chloe tilted her head, her thoughts muddled. "Don't you know what Anim gave me today?"

Anwaatin shook her head. "I didn't even know he gave you a gift. I don't remember you opening one and announcing his name during your party."

"Because he didn't put it with the other gifts. He wanted to give it to me privately."

Her eyes widened. "Oh? And what was it? Crocuses and a key?"

Chloe heaved a sigh as she sat down on the bed next to Anwaatin. "No crocuses, but he gave me one of those old keys that are more ornate than useful on a leather necklace. It was the same key as the one in the vision. I thought you told him and he was screwing around with me."

Furrowed brows tugged down on Anwaatin's face. "Why would he do that? He's too serious."

Chloe perked an eyebrow in accusatory disbelief.