Chapter 27 - Animkii (Part 2)

Animkii was called into his father's office in the middle of his afternoon training session. He wasn't alone—Cameron had to cancel the training session for everyone as he was called in as well. Ethan and Mik followed, but Mik was asked to wait outside in the hallway and make sure no one entered or listened in.

Mik nodded his head, taking his role as a bodyguard of sorts seriously, while Ethan was permitted to enter as Animkii's beta.

Other higher ranking wolves were present in the now cramped office, waiting to hear whatever it was that Animkii's father had called them over to hear.

Once everyone was present, Animkii's father stood up from his desk. He had previously been sitting in silence, sharing at his phone with a contemplative look etching grooves across his forehead.

"Everyone," his father began, "tragedy has struck the Donatta Pack. The alpha and luna and their eldest pup have died in a terrible accident."

Glances of understanding were exchanged amongst themselves, knowing what that meant for them.

"Right," his father continued. "We have time to prepare for any unrest that might spill across our border during their time of mourning, but we need to up border patrol in that area and ensure the safety of everyone present in our pack. Beta Drekko has alerted the neighboring packs of what has happened so that we can take the measures we need to keep our packs safe from harm. His hands are full as he takes care of all the necessary measures needed to honor the memory of their former leaders while preparing for the incoming challenges that are sure to follow. He is in charge right now, but who knows for how long."

He cleared his throat. "So, let us get to work. I will call the pack in the mainland together to inform them of the necessary safety measures we must take for the next few weeks until the Donatta Pack sorts themselves out and then I will go to the northland to do the same later this evening. Understood?"

"Yes, Alpha," everyone in the room responded in unison.

Animkii and Ethan remained with his mother and Uncle Gekek once everyone else left.

"Anim," his father heaved a sigh. His age and weariness showing now that everyone else was gone. "I need you to step up now. Take on more of a leadership role. I think you're ready for it."

Animkii nodded. "Yes, Papaw. Cameron can vouch for me. I've come a long way in the last year. I'm ready."

His father stepped around his desk and grinned up at his son. Age and stress had pressed its weight down on him another inch. He clapped him on the shoulder. "Good. I'm glad to hear that. Come, we have much to do."

***

Animkii, Ethan, and Mik took their posts along the southeastern border in rotations with the other warriors. There were no issues in the two weeks that followed, but they did encounter many wolves trying to escape and seek sanctuary in their pack from the war that was waging within.

That was how they learned that Alpha Sergei of the Ashtar Pack had taken the opportunity to invade and force everyone into submission. The battles were described as brutal and nearly half of the Donatta Pack's warriors were decimated in their first night.

The Donatta Pack wolves were mostly peaceful and had always held friendly relations with Animkii's parents. The unexpected deaths of the Alpha, Luna, and their pup was a shock. It was no surprise that the younger two pups were smuggled across their border with a relative and her pups while her mate fought against the Ashtar wolves—and died. Animkii's parents welcomed her and the four pups she brought with her into their pack.

Most of the wolves trying to escape were young females and pups. Their mates killed in the slaughter before the remaining warriors submitted.

Sixty-six managed to escape, fifty of them were pups under the age of eighteen.

It made Animkii's blood boil.

There was too much bloodshed. Too many lives lost. These were only a few who managed to escape. Who knew how many tried and failed in the process?

***

Once the dust settled, Animkii, Ethan, Mik, his parents, and his beta aunt and uncle, met with Alpha Sergei at the southeastern border.

They had wanted to meet at their pack house and assess the damage and state of the land, but Alpha Sergei refused and would only agree to a meeting at the border.

Alpha Sergei assured them that peace was the aim and that he did what he thought was right.

"Many would have suffered in the internal upheaval," he said. "I asserted my power and the fighting came to an end."

The wolves who escaped would've growled in disagreement. It was difficult for Animkii and everyone present at the meeting to suppress the growls creeping up their throats. They'd heard the stories. Of the bloodshed. Of the fires set to homes with females and pups hiding in the basements.

It was monstrous.

From that moment on, Animkii made sure he kept tabs on Alpha Sergei. He didn't get good vibes from him. None of them did.

But what was done, was done. They could not bring back the dead, but they could offer the refugees a fresh start in a new pack.

Animkii oversaw the construction of homes for their new members, keeping them close together so they could live near each other, support each other, and help each other rebuild their lives in the northland.

It was a rough summer and fall getting those houses built before winter, but they got it done.

When winter blew in, the training recommenced with the warriors and Animkii pushed himself hard once again.

He saw the way Alpha Sergei regarded him at their last meeting at the border. He was plotting something. Something that raised Animkii's hackles.

Animkii felt the urge to train harder than ever, work alongside Cameron in the training, and gain the respect he deserved from his warriors. He needed them on his side and not against him.

It was easy with the males in the afternoon training session with Ethan—many of those wolves respected him, to begin with. The morning session required more work but he eventually had them all on his side by the time the snow began to thaw and the first robin was spotted hopping between two clumps of ice in a green patch near the forest that surrounded the valley.

Spring was upon them—along with Chloe's seventeenth birthday.

Only one more year to go, he reminded himself, turning away and continuing on his run around the border.

----

Dedicated to HeartStone Packmate: Wildfire31 - Join us on facebook!

Copyright Jo Lee Hunt ( Joflower ) 2020