Chapter 20 - Animkii (Part 1)

Bitterly cold air rushed into his lungs, stinging the cracks with a burning ache.

Pushing away from the Hall, Animkii tromped through the frozen land that hadn't given way to the warmth of spring yet. It should be upon them, the snow and ice melting away and flooding the creeks as it did every year around Chloe's birthday.

But not this time.

Winter felt frozen in place, unable to give up its hold to spring and melt away.

Likewise, he felt frozen in place, unable to crawl out from under the clutches grief had on him.

Chloe was doing great on her own. Helping others. Growing stronger. Maturing into the young female she was destined to be.

And what the fuck was he doing? Moping around. Unable to get out of bed. Unable to maintain focus long enough to do anything or carry a conversation with anyone.

Pathetic.

Disgust with himself drove him forward.

He was nineteen and going to be twenty in two and a half months and what did he have to show for himself? No mate. No pup. No strength. No energy. No motivation. No leadership. No courage. No hope...

So fucking pathetic...

At fifteen years of age, Chloe was already accomplishing more than he had on her own. Packmates were surrounding her and showering her with love and support. Even if she didn't think she deserved any of it, she was acting. She was making something of herself and encouraging others to do the same. She was a role model for packmates her age.

What did he ever do for anyone?

So fucking pathetic!

He was happy for her. Proud of her.

But he hated himself.

He let everyone down. His parents. His pack. His mate. His pup. Himself...

You can get back on top, a soft voice in his head urged. Have courage. You've suffered a lot. It will take time but you can still be that male, that leader you were supposed to be.

He huffed as he cleared the forest and entered the valley. His parents' house was within sight, far off in the distance, as the shadows of the trees stretched out behind him as the sun continued its slow descent over the treetops on the other side of the valley.

How the fuck can I lead a pack I was never born to lead? I'm not the firstborn. My brother was destined to lead, not me. The position just fell to me, the last remaining heir. A beta at best, not an alpha.

His thoughts were interrupted by his father pressing into his mind. Opening it to him, his father asked where he was. Dinner was being served. Everyone was waiting for him.

What right did he have to eat first?

[I'm going home,] he grumbled. [Go ahead without me.]

[What happened? Why did you leave?]

[Does it matter?] he snarled. [Go enjoy yourselves.]

His father's growl rumbled in his head, vibrating the nerve endings and making his nose tingle and his temples to throb. [We will discuss this later.]

[Fine.]

Pushing him out of his mind, he continued to trudge forward through the barren frozen valley. Once he was inside, he slammed the door behind him and shook off his fur coat. Pain constricted his chest and he grimaced as he paused and leaned against the wall, breathing slowly and waiting for the ache to relax a bit.